• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Best way to learn about your Campground's electrical grid

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
When we experience a serious thunderstorm in our area, we unplug from the power pedestal until the storm is gone. And, we always have a Progressive Industries EMS PT-50X in the circuit. Lightning strikes up to several miles away can put a serious surge on the power lines serving a fairly large area. No need to waste a good surge suppressor when the likelihood of a surge is known in advance.
So in a situation like that, do you run your gen in place of for power and if the storm lingers into quiet hours then what do you do? I have never been in this situation but I can see it happening as we go further across the country.

So in a situation like that, do you run your gen in place of for power and if the storm lingers into quiet hours then what do you do? I have never been in this situation but I can see it happening as we go further across the country.
We just go into "energy saver mode." Fortunately, with 8 AGMs on board, we can go for quite a while, We'd just wait until we were able to run the generator or reconnect to park power.

TJ.

Neal, where did you find space to mount the autoformer in the electrical bay? It is tight in there. have pictures?
I had few problems before removing the electric cord reel. Could not figure out why my Oasis #2 coil was not working, I had occasional power outs etc.
After wiring the 50A cord directly into the transfer box, all that went away.

Mine sits just left of the cord reel.

Per a google on the dimensions (click here) it's:

13 x 10.75 x 14.5 inches

The above is incorrect. Per the Hughes web page for the 50A:

Size: 12”H x 8 ½“ W x 5½” D

I'm confused, at the bottom of the page it shows:

Additional Information
Weight32 lbs
Dimensions13 × 11 × 15 in
FREE SHIPPINGFREE SHIPPING

That is probably the dimensions of the box it is shipped in.

Thanks. I didn't think I had an issue. It was a pretty bad storm, so I wouldn't doubt that the electric company had problems.

NOTE: For anyone, who read my other electrical issue, this one was a separate electric happening at Elkhorn Ridge that occurred at my new site and had nothing to do with the very real electrical problem the park had in the sites I mentioned in my other post. ?
We stayed at Elkhorn Ridge 3 weeks ago and had low voltage multiple times. I made certain my AGS was set each time we left for the day. I talked to the park manager and he of course said my EMS was most likely the problem as they never had any low voltage issues. Nice park however.

I am really considering the Hughes autoformer to carry along and I would not install in the electric bay as I would want to carry it to the next coach.
I believe I have read somewhere that some parks don’t allow them. True or False? I would chain it to the pedestal. Can the box withstand rain or water? I can’t imagine it can, but I’ll let the experts give their opinions.

I am really considering the Hughes autoformer to carry along and I would not install in the electric bay as I would want to carry it to the next coach.
I believe I have read somewhere that some parks don’t allow them. True or False? I would chain it to the pedestal. Can the box withstand rain or water? I can’t imagine it can, but I’ll let the experts give their opinions.

For my Autoformer, I made a cover from a plastic office waste basket. Cut slots for the wires on both sides, and small went holes for the heat. It goes upside down on top of the AF.
Also I usually have something underneath the AF so it does not sit on the ground in case of rain.
It does not catch the eye of a person walking by, as a bare AF $$ would :).

When we experience a serious thunderstorm in our area, we unplug from the power pedestal until the storm is gone. And, we always have a Progressive Industries EMS PT-50X in the circuit. Lightning strikes up to several miles away can put a serious surge on the power lines serving a fairly large area. No need to waste a good surge suppressor when the likelihood of a surge is known in advance.

TJ
Thanks TJ. I will do that next time! South Dakota has crazy weather. Got hit with mini golf ball sized hail, lightening everywhere and sirens keep going off on my phone. I'm glad to have the Progressive SP on the pedestal, but I will disconnect on the next severe thunderstorm.

Latest resources

Back