Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
We live near Houston, and travel through there frequently. So, we see these black marks on the walls of extremely high overpasses. Especially where the sign says speed limit 35 on the curve with a graphic of a truck tipping over... We call those 'tippy truck' curves and take the motorhome very slowly, 30 mph, around those curves - we went on a stack interchange today that must be 100 feet high or more. .... (Our small town has fairly straignt overpasses, only one level high).
My question is: Are those black marks really from tire rubs? Who is making those rubs? It seems to me that most tires are inset and could not be hitting the overpass wall before a piece of the vehicle does! Has anyone ever seen this happen? I can't imagine what a driver would feel like having a close call like that!
This is the closest one I could find out what I'm seeing but the tire marks I've seen look more like arches. This one looks like a hummingbird
1646952801853.png
1646952906425.png

Last edited:
I think when these situations occur, tire wear is the least of their worries

With a rig like ours, if the yellow sign indicates 20, I make sure we enter the curve at 20 mph. It is not hard to loose control with our heavy and tall rigs. The car drivers behind me may get upset, but it is better than me being upset on the side of the road with damaged RV.

With a rig like ours, if the yellow sign indicates 20, I make sure we enter the curve at 20 mph. It is not hard to loose control with our heavy and tall rigs. The car drivers behind me may get upset, but it is better than me being upset on the side of the road with damaged RV.
I go 5 miles or more under. Drivers behind me will only be inconvenienced for a couple minutes.

With active air I can easily go the posted speed in a clover leaf or equivalent in relative comfort and control, or even a bit faster, but I rarely do as Im always considering the strain on tire sidewalls, wear on bearings, and overall stress on the suspension. I do use it when appropriate to accelerate out of a turn earlier when approaching a busy merge, which is helpful given my ISB power limitations.

The coach no longer tips or sways, but the physical forces are still there working away on moving and structural parts. The test drive after installation was quite interesting, and even fun, but also the last time I drove it like that. Now its just some added capability that is there if and when I need it.

With active air I can easily go the posted speed in a clover leaf or equivalent in relative comfort and control, or even a bit faster, but I rarely do as Im always considering the strain on tire sidewalls, wear on bearings, and overall stress on the suspension. I do use it when appropriate to accelerate out of a turn earlier when approaching a busy merge, which is helpful given my ISB power limitations.

The coach no longer tips or sways, but the physical forces are still there working away on moving and structural parts. The test drive after installation was quite interesting, and even fun, but also the last time I drove it like that. Now its just some added capability that is there if and when I need it.
? sounds interesting

The most interesting thing is, those barriers were thought to make the vehicle deflect off of the barrier when struck. The fact is that the design will grab the tire and pull it into the wall climbing up as it goes. We had those on a bridge until a couple of cars made it all the way over into the river. Ever notice that style isn't on race tracks? They have changed those to a straight wall style now on our bridges. Leave it to the government to take something OK and make it worse.

Latest resources

Back