Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
When to use a block heater and for how long?

I have never used a block heater but vehicles were stored inside at night. During the day they were exposed to by winters and Mn winters. Never a problem.

I see the option to turn on a block heater in the DSDP. On shore power do no issue there.

should the block heater be left on over night when expecting freeze temps?

Your antifreeze should be all that's needed! Block heaters keep the lube warm enough so things will turn over. Personally I never needed them in salt lake city. Diesel may start easier, I don't know about that!

Joe I'm no expert on block heaters but on my DutchStar I only use the block heater if the temps are going to be freezing AND I'm planning to drive the next day. In that case I leave it on overnight and shut it down when I'm going through the departure process. No need to run the block heater if the coach is in storage.

I turn my block heater on 2 to 4 hours before I want to start the engine on departure days when ambient is below 40°. It's faster/easier to start when everything's warm.

Joe, do you have an Oasis hydronic heating system with the engine loop option?
We have both an electric block heater and the oasis engine loop, and have never used the electric block heater in the 3 years we have had our unit.
If temps get down to 30f or lower we will flip on the engine loop pump an hour or 2 before our desired departure time. Makes for an easy start on the large diesel engine and have heat available from the dash almost immediately.

Joe, do you have an Oasis hydronic heating system with the engine loop option?
We have both an electric block heater and the oasis engine loop, and have never used the electric block heater in the 3 years we have had our unit.
If temps get down to 30f or lower we will flip on the engine loop pump an hour or 2 before our desired departure time. Makes for an easy start on the large diesel engine and have heat available from the dash almost immediately.
On the DS, Newmar does not have the engine loop option since they include the block heater. I am not positive, but do not think it is included (or optional) on the luxury models. There are posts detailing how to DYI it.

Looks like two discussions of the same going on. Let's stick with this one here =>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back