Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I had an issue where my toad left rear light would not work when using turn signal or emergency flashers. I traced the wires from the front of the toad to the back and even ordered a new diode at the rear light and still didn't correct the issue. Somewhere along the wire path whether at the coach or in the toad the signal wasn't being sent.

Huge kudos to @Buly as while we were at Ruidoso Motorcoach Resort together recently he offered to help me troubleshoot this. I already lost a set screw at one end of the cable and replaced it not long ago so my first word of caution to anyone with the blue ox blue cable is to ensure your set screws on both ends are snug. Buly then disassembled both ends of the blue cable to inspect the wiring. On one end the red wire was actually removed from the socket which I believe is what my installer wired up to keep the toad battery charged while towing (battery is disconnected in my toad for towing). Connections were rusty which is obvious/expected as it's not a water tight setup so he cleaned up some of the wires. After verifying all connections, cleaning, and securing I'm happy to report I'm back to 100%. Many thanks to Buly for going the huge extra mile in helping me with this. I considered trying a new cable when at a RV dealership on my travels out west but they wanted $120 for it so I passed. It's cheaper on Amazon for around $80 should anyone need a new cable. But the moral is to inspect your wire connections on both ends of this cable and also make sure your set screws are snug. We've all heard of toad fires, this very well could be a cause from what we observed.

Well, on my last leg my toad lights were not working so I think the cable is done. It's a terrible design as you can see pictured above. I ordered another one which arrived today and it looks like they learned and the connections are now sealed!

blueox-new.JPG

I recently had a similar experience with my Roadmaster electrical cable. At an overnight stop on the way to our place in Montana, I noticed that the toad didn't seem to have power when I disconnected the cable. It didn't; the battery was dead.

Further investigation revealed that the wire feeding power to the battery-disconnect relay in the toad had become disconnected at the coach end of the electrical umbilical. As a result, the battery disconnect relay wasn't working. In checking the 7-pin plug, I found several of the terminal set screws (and wires) to be loose. After reconnecting the loose wire and tightening all of the terminal set screws, everything worked fine.

I've made a habit of wrapping Rescue Tape around the cable end of both plugs to keep water intrusion to a minimum. I now plan to check all cable connections prior to each trip. And, I do carry a spare Roadmaster cable-and-plug set plus coiled AF1 air hose in the coach spare parts bin...just in case.

One other thing I've done is to attach tethers with snap links to both ends of the AF1 coiled hose so that if either end should come loose, the free end won't be flying around beating things up.

TJ

My receptacle on toad broke in the cold.
C226B742-EF9D-4879-B204-AB1023934924.jpeg
25FC86AD-53FA-4712-82FA-CBF426A5ED70.jpeg

Well, on my last leg my toad lights were not working so I think the cable is done. It's a terrible design as you can see pictured above. I ordered another one which arrived today and it looks like they learned and the connections are now sealed!

View attachment 412

@Neal

Interesting that the picture on Amazon still shows the old style cable without the sealed ends.

e4bb8865b31c3174c10b48284475f52a.jpg

I routinely replace the cable every two years.

Roadmaster sells a kit that includes the cable and car connector for $67.34.

I also carry a spare of this kit plus a spare set of safety cables in the coach. I also carry two extra attachment pins. I’ve never lost one, but I know folks who have and they don’t sell replacements at ACE Hardware.

b593387f98b42c36ad17efaafc9f8638.jpg

Yep...that's the one we carry; except the cable sheath is blue.

TJ

Anyone that receives the NEW style blue ox cable which has sealed ends per my picture above please see the thread below as Blue Ox changed the pin configuration. @Chuggs found this out and also reported this to blue ox which they acknowledged they did change this to better conform to industry standards.

Yes, it's a new style with different pin orientation than the former one they sold. It's cheaper on Amazon at the link below but what is pictured on Amazon is not what I received but what is shown in your picture is and my image above with the BLACK plastic fittings on the end.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC8LZW/?tag=rvf01-20

Latest resources

Back