Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I recently switched to a blue ox base plate from a Roadmaster and I was able to keep my Roadmaster tow bar. When I arrive at my destination I typically start the toad to take it out neutral and before shutting the engine off I turn the steering wheel all the way in both directions and the pins are easy to get out. That trick didn’t work with blue ox base plate so getting one of the pins on the coupler took some work to get it out. So what’s the trick with Blue Ox?

I was definitely angled into the drive so that would explain it.

If straight, the pins are a "snap" to get out! If much of an angle, there tends to be binding, and it is a bear to get out!
Good Luck.....and "stay straight"!:)

It sounds like the Nighthawk isn't releasing completely. I had a similar problem so I extended the arms, and sprayed it liberally with Simple Green All-purpose cleaner. I worked the arms in and out while wiping them until cleaned. I sprayed it with Dry Silicon and repeated the in and out until it was totally clean. That solved my binding issue.

Sheridan,

I, almost always, will put my truck into gear and let it roll forward...with only a slight amount of pressure. That way, when I pull the release handles on the Nighthawk, it gives me a loose setup and the pins come out easily. I have all Roadmaster components, but would do the same for any setup that uses the non-binding release.

Sheridan,

I, almost always, will put my truck into gear and let it roll forward...with only a slight amount of pressure. That way, when I pull the release handles on the Nighthawk, it gives me a loose setup and the pins come out easily. I have all Roadmaster components, but would do the same for any setup that uses the non-binding release.
This is what I do also with our Jeep. First thing after arriving is get the transfer case back in 2H, put it in gear for a little pressure, then park. I don't set the parking break. When I hit the towbar latches, the Jeep usually rolls an inch forward until the transmission parking pawl stops it. Everything is free at that point and the pins slide right out.
Edit: Roadmaster baseplate and Blue Ox towbar with Roadmaster ends.

This is one of the things improved with the newer Blue Ox towbars, I realize you're not using one, but if one is in your future it's something to consider. You may also want to lubricate connections with LPS 3 - this is good stuff. LPS 2 as an alternative.

Thank you for that suggestion. I seriously considered a new tow bar (blue ox) but I really like my nighthawk and it has served me well. It probably has 10,000 miles on it. A few have made a great suggestions on how to disconnect that I am going to try. By the way retail on a new BO or even a Roadmaster is now 1200.00 and change.

Latest resources

Back