Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t believe that is correct according to lawyer I asked today. I am not a lawyer but customs and border protection operate somewhat differently than others I am told.

In United States criminal law, the border search exception is a doctrine that allows searches and seizures at international borders and their functional equivalent without a warrant or probable cause.[1] Generally speaking, searches within 100 miles of the border are more permissible without a warrant than those conducted elsewhere in the U.S. The doctrine also allows federal agents to search people at border crossings without a warrant or probable cause. The government is allowed to use scanning devices and to search personal electronics. Invasive bodily searches, however, require reasonable suspicion.

Last winter I traveled through Southern Arizona, Southern New Mexico and along the Texas/Mexico border on my way to the Gulf, all the while staying as close to the border as possible just for the cultural experience. It was both interesting and educational. I had to stop for many CBP inspection stations and at every one I was treated with courtesy and respect and was impressed by the professionalism of the folks trying against all odds to enforce the law on our southern border.

I was never delayed more than was necessary to have a very brief conversation about the occupants on board, and was always wished a safe journey. Had anyone asked, I would have been happy to have them come aboard, but I think all the high tech scanning gear that you drive passed gives them a pretty good idea whether or not there are more folks on board than the driver claims.

Anyway I was impressed and pleased (and honored to have lunch with some CBP agents at the Cafe Borderland on Rt 9 in New Mexico) and glad that people still want to do that job, because I imagine in addition to varying between tedious and dangerous, its also fairly thankless.

At my present location on the eastern side of the Salton Sea, I occasionally ride my bike through a CBP inspection on my way down to the shore, but they don’t seem to see much need to ask any questions and just wave me through.

So putting a few human shaped water bags heated to ~97° in the basement of your class A might not be found too funny?

So putting a few human shaped water bags heated to ~97° in the basement of your class A might not be found too funny?
Well probably not for anyone in a hurry stuck behind you….

Rich mentioned all the sophisticated monitoring equipment and if you've not seen it it looks like something out of Star Wars. There must be at least half a dozen cameras pointed in multiple directions and angles plus several different sensors. I'm not sure what we run over but it's almost like they are getting the vehicle weight. One day I'll remember to ask and maybe, they can share that info.

I also agree with Rich, I've always been treated with respect and courtesy.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're not running over a thermal imagining camera. Likely the hot spots such as engine, exhaust, tires, coolant lines & transmission would look very similar on most class A, B or C RVs. If something looked out of the ordinary, it could provoke a conversation.

Reactions: ARD
One more thing!!!
They want to get in my rig they better get a warrant!!!! Just saying they are required to follow the law of the land, or their criminals!!!
You may be, I'm sure you are, 100% correct about the warrant. So just think ahead a bit. It's late afternoon on a Sunday, care to guess how long getting said warrant just might take? Do you think they would be in any special hurry to accomdate you? So Monday at 3AM when you are still waiting for the warrant how are you going to feel then.

This is not like your house where you are home while they get said warrant. You are driving someplace and want, or need to get there.

Don't carry crap you aren't supposed to have and the will let you go on your merry way.

I don’t believe that is correct according to lawyer I asked today. I am not a lawyer but customs and border protection operate somewhat differently than others I am told.

In United States criminal law, the border search exception is a doctrine that allows searches and seizures at international borders and their functional equivalent without a warrant or probable cause.[1] Generally speaking, searches within 100 miles of the border are more permissible without a warrant than those conducted elsewhere in the U.S. The doctrine also allows federal agents to search people at border crossings without a warrant or probable cause. The government is allowed to use scanning devices and to search personal electronics. Invasive bodily searches, however, require reasonable suspicion.
Then there is the real law that many of you took an oath to defend, including the border patrol! And that law says no law is legal that is written against it, and furthermore those that have swarn that oath have committed treason if they do not defend "the People's rights".

So it is illegal to search a house (portable or not), without a properly served warrant. Anything else is commy!!!

Honestly when you ask someone that took an oath to Britton (B.A.R.). about law, you're not learning about constitutional (law of our land) law! Rather you are learning about maritime law!!!

Yup you engaged a true patriot!, a constitutionalist!

I assume we are still talking on subject, due to the title of the thread.

You may be, I'm sure you are, 100% correct about the warrant. So just think ahead a bit. It's late afternoon on a Sunday, care to guess how long getting said warrant just might take? Do you think they would be in any special hurry to accomdate you? So Monday at 3AM when you are still waiting for the warrant how are you going to feel then.

This is not like your house where you are home while they get said warrant. You are driving someplace and want, or need to get there.

Don't carry crap you aren't supposed to have and the will let you go on your merry way.
And by detaining me, or anyone else for that matter, that has not broken any legal laws, they have broken constructional law a second time.

For the record, I carry nothing that I can't buy in America legally. But I will not comply with illegal enforcement!! Just the same reason any tickets I might get will be sent to J.A.G.

And by detaining me, or anyone else for that matter, that has not broken any legal laws, they have broken constructional law a second time.

For the record, I carry nothing that I can't buy in America legally. But I will not comply with illegal enforcement!! Just the same reason any tickets I might get will be sent to J.A.G.
You could always try a 4th amendment lawsuit. Might be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back