• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Built my Def Sensor Simulator

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@redbaron ... once you build one of these units, what it the best method of field testing it to make sure it works before hitting the road? I am getting ready to order the parts.

FLSteve :unsure:
The only test you can do without a donor coach is a continuity test between pins and the board with a multimeter.

Also verify no shorts between pins.

The only test you can do without a donor coach is a continuity test between pins and the board with a multimeter.

Also verify no shorts between pins.
I was thinking once I get my coach, maybe just unplugging the DEF head and plugging this in and see if I can start it ... but am almost afraid to do that in case it causes lots of codes and I get stranded.

FLSteve:unsure:

As I plan to take delivery of my 2022 London Aire very soon, I decided it was time to build by Def Sensor simulator.

The instructions I followed where the original from the quick build (DEF Sensor Simulator – Quick Build – DEF Sensor Simulator)
I've gotten all the parts to assemble mine but I wasn't sure about downloading the software on my work PC. I was going to try to get a used laptop so as not to create virus problems on this PC. I assume there was no issue for you downloading the software, is that correct?

I was thinking once I get my coach, maybe just unplugging the DEF head and plugging this in and see if I can start it ... but am almost afraid to do that in case it causes lots of codes and I get stranded.

FLSteve:unsure:
That is the correct test. You do this with the chassis power off.

From this page:

Connecting to your motorhome CAN network:​

1. Make sure that before you unplug your def head that the ignition is turned off, then unplug your def head. You may need to cut a zip tie to provide working slack in the wiring.
  2. Plug the simulator into the connection to your chassis wiring where the def head was plugged in.
  3. Turn on your ignition, some or all of the fault codes should go away and the Check Engine and MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) lights should extinguish within a few minutes.
  4. If some codes remain, to clear your codes you will need to turn your ignition on (let all systems come up, about 20 seconds), then start your engine and fast idle for 5-6 minutes, shut down for 90 seconds, turn ignition on (wait for systems to boot 20 sec) start engine and fast idle for 5 min. You will do this a total of 3 times on the 4 cycle the codes should clear to the inactive status.
    Note: on older engines or engines with older ECM software, some codes may not completely clear on their own. In this case code clearing intervention may be required. This is something that is still under study, see the Troubleshooting section for more info.

I've gotten all the parts to assemble mine but I wasn't sure about downloading the software on my work PC. I was going to try to get a used laptop so as not to create virus problems on this PC. I assume there was no issue for you downloading the software, is that correct?
This software is not a virus. It is an executable, and modern browsers will scare you into not running it.

If you take it from the website: DEF Sensor Simulator – Quick Build – DEF Sensor Simulator then you are safe.

That is the correct test. You do this with the chassis power off.

From this page:

Connecting to your motorhome CAN network:​

1. Make sure that before you unplug your def head that the ignition is turned off, then unplug your def head. You may need to cut a zip tie to provide working slack in the wiring.
  2. Plug the simulator into the connection to your chassis wiring where the def head was plugged in.
  3. Turn on your ignition, some or all of the fault codes should go away and the Check Engine and MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) lights should extinguish within a few minutes.
  4. If some codes remain, to clear your codes you will need to turn your ignition on (let all systems come up, about 20 seconds), then start your engine and fast idle for 5-6 minutes, shut down for 90 seconds, turn ignition on (wait for systems to boot 20 sec) start engine and fast idle for 5 min. You will do this a total of 3 times on the 4 cycle the codes should clear to the inactive status.
    Note: on older engines or engines with older ECM software, some codes may not completely clear on their own. In this case code clearing intervention may be required. This is something that is still under study, see the Troubleshooting section for more info.
Are you planning on testing once you get your coach? I want you to lead the way😳

Are you planning on testing once you get your coach? I want you to lead the way😳
Yes. I will be plugging it in as soon as possible.

Well I finished mine up, got brave and tested. Worked as advertised and no fault codes. I am going to carry in my spare parts bin and hope I never need it😳

5A123EC7-67F1-472C-8759-557045CD759C.jpeg

Well I finished mine up, got brave and tested. Worked as advertised and no fault codes. I am going to carry in my spare parts bin and hope I never need it😳
@NWIP ... did you order the parts very recently. Need to get my stuff ordered tonight. Just wondering if there is a backlog.

FLSteve

Latest resources

Back