Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mahi54

RVF Regular

BUYER BEWARE !! ..on May 12, 2023 without anyone in the family aware this was happening my 88 year old Dad went to La Mesa Center Davie wanting to buy a camper ... although he has pulled campers before 45-50 years ago he hasn't in some time.. in addition does not have a vehicle that would safely pull a trailer...none of this mattered to the sales staff or manager ... when I finally found out what was happening.. I contacted the sales staff letting them know who I was and that my father is elderly ... please stop until I can get involved ... not only did they not stop or even slow down for that matter ...they went thru with the sale with a almost $1k "prep fee" and a $ 820 tire wheel protection which my dad did not sign but they charged anyway ...they had it delivered to his house early the next morning (his vehicle could not safely tow the camper) .... I understand the state of Florida law does not provide a "cooling off" period for Rv's but you would think that at least one of the two sales staff or the manager would step up and say this is wrong to take advantage of our elderly ..with all that said.. we need to sell the camper just two months later ... Dad called La Mesa asking for their help ... what do you think they said ... "Sorry we can't Help" If the sales staff or Manager are lucky enough to still have their parents around I just hope this type of thing never happens to them... my advice to anyone looking to buy an RV ... look elsewhere ..​

Honestly, unless you had what it takes to declare him incompetent, he has the right to make his own choices. . This of course means they were within their right to sell to him. .

That said!! Your choice to spread the word about the these practices is well within your rights.

I see that you made one mistake!!! You didn't simply put La Mesa RV as a title as that would have given it better SEO status.

Yes. It is a shame how unscrupulous some businesses are. My mother, in her nineties, bought an air conditioner, some years ago. She was told if she paid twice the price, they could install one with a heater, as well. She went with it and paid double. Years later she hired someone to clean the unit and asked them to clean the heater part also. She was informed that there is no heater part. Ripped off.

Slightly different scenario, but the dealer knew they were taking advantage of an elderly person, who was unaware of what was needed. They were afraid that you would stop the sale and they would lose their commission. in heir right, but very underhanded.

BUYER BEWARE !! ..on May 12, 2023 without anyone in the family aware this was happening my 88 year old Dad went to La Mesa Center Davie wanting to buy a camper ... although he has pulled campers before 45-50 years ago he hasn't in some time.. in addition does not have a vehicle that would safely pull a trailer...none of this mattered to the sales staff or manager ... when I finally found out what was happening.. I contacted the sales staff letting them know who I was and that my father is elderly ... please stop until I can get involved ... not only did they not stop or even slow down for that matter ...they went thru with the sale with a almost $1k "prep fee" and a $ 820 tire wheel protection which my dad did not sign but they charged anyway ...they had it delivered to his house early the next morning (his vehicle could not safely tow the camper) .... I understand the state of Florida law does not provide a "cooling off" period for Rv's but you would think that at least one of the two sales staff or the manager would step up and say this is wrong to take advantage of our elderly ..with all that said.. we need to sell the camper just two months later ... Dad called La Mesa asking for their help ... what do you think they said ... "Sorry we can't Help" If the sales staff or Manager are lucky enough to still have their parents around I just hope this type of thing never happens to them... my advice to anyone looking to buy an RV ... look elsewh​

BUYER BEWARE !! ..on May 12, 2023 without anyone in the family aware this was happening my 88 year old Dad went to La Mesa Center Davie wanting to buy a camper ... although he has pulled campers before 45-50 years ago he hasn't in some time.. in addition does not have a vehicle that would safely pull a trailer...none of this mattered to the sales staff or manager ... when I finally found out what was happening.. I contacted the sales staff letting them know who I was and that my father is elderly ... please stop until I can get involved ... not only did they not stop or even slow down for that matter ...they went thru with the sale with a almost $1k "prep fee" and a $ 820 tire wheel protection which my dad did not sign but they charged anyway ...they had it delivered to his house early the next morning (his vehicle could not safely tow the camper) .... I understand the state of Florida law does not provide a "cooling off" period for Rv's but you would think that at least one of the two sales staff or the manager would step up and say this is wrong to take advantage of our elderly ..with all that said.. we need to sell the camper just two months later ... Dad called La Mesa asking for their help ... what do you think they said ... "Sorry we can't Help" If the sales staff or Manager are lucky enough to still have their parents around I just hope this type of thing never happens to them... my advice to anyone looking to buy an RV ... look elsewhere ..​

I agree with Rosy, Ken and Dan's comments. I would further suggest contacting the manufacturer of the unit and let them know how their dealers are treating the elderly. While they have no stake in this per se they could/ should put pressure on that dealer. Much of the RV world is comprised of elderly. Make sure everything written is factual or it could come back to haunt you. Emotion is fine but facts are key an should not be clouded by emotion, You may even discuss this with a local TV station. Just remember as pointed out they have done nothing illegal. What they have done it is just not ethical. Keep us posted on how this all works out for you..

Honestly, unless you had what it takes to declare him incompetent, he has the right to make his own choices. . This of course means they were within their right to sell to him. .

That said!! Your choice to spread the word about the these practices is well within your rights.

I see that you made one mistake!!! You didn't simply put La Mesa RV as a title as that would have given it better SEO status.
Thank-you for the response Kevin ... he is definitely not incompetent just old and not necessarily thinking things through as he once did.. I am hoping that if I make it to 88 that will be my only problem.... again the fact that I asked LaMesa to please stop until I can get over to the dealership and go thru the losistics of pull a TT and they refused is still in my crawl ... I want to spread the word.. I will change the title as you suggested ..

I would contact your local Attorney General, your state rep and senator, the AARP, and any local organization that helps the elderly.
They can put some pretty heavy pressure on the dealer.
Thank-you Dan very good advice .. La Mesa Attorney contacted me and stated they are not able to help due to “inventory constraints” which I found comical at best .. I am taking your advice and contacting our state representative and AARP ..will see if that helps ...

For the record ......everything I have said is factual and just sharing my story ... at no time have I slandered La Mesa .... facts are facts and the fact is they took advantage of a 88 year old man even after I asked them to please stop until I could get to the dealership to make sure if was safe for my dad to be pulling a camper... thanks again for everyone's concern... I would hate to see this type of thing happen to any one of your elderly parents if you are fortunate enough to still have them around.

Latest resources

Back