• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Buying direct from PTL?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Last November I contacted PTL to order that hinge for my 2018 King Aire. I talked to Noell Daoust, [email protected], 810-664-2310. She was really knowledgeable and helpful. She asked me to send her a photo of the failed hinge. When she saw that it had failed at the hinge point (pin pulled out of flat iron) she said they would send me a new hinge at no-charge. It's my impression they know that hinge was weak so they are making it right. As a temporary fix, I took the old hinge off of the door, put the pin back through the hole it is supposed to be in and used a punch and hammer to kind of flatten out the pin to keep it in place. This worked until I got the new hinge and installed it. Good luck!

Sjs
Thanks, @OkieRed; that's helpful information. Mine failed at the hinge point too; on both ends! When it popped loose on the door side, the pin went somewhere and I haven't been able to find it. As I tried to fold the arm back in, the other hinge-point rivet popped loose and I was able to capture it. I will be calling PTL when they re-open on Monday.

Currently, I have a soft piece of foam pool noodle taped to the mirror arm in case the door gets away from me when I open it. That will, at least, prevent paint damage to the door.

TJ

All - That part is a common point of failure. Get some suspension grease, and put on the post and spring assembly every six months or so, that will keep it from rusting, and allow it to last longer. PTL made the whole door assembly, they are great to work with, and have the best prices on the door parts.

Well, so far, my interaction with PTL has been less-than-stellar. I called this morning and was told that they have a "new procedure" and that I needed to fill out a form that he would e-mail me. No orders would be taken over the phone.

I told him that the hinge pins had failed on a 2-year-old unit and he still quoted me $85.09 for the part + shipping. He said the part could "probably ship by the end of the week."

"End of the week?" How about today or tomorrow? He didn't think so, but said that when it did ship, he could have it sent via FedEx "2nd Day" if I wanted to pay the extra charge.

When the form arrived in the e-mail, it was in...wait for it...Microsoft Word format. Now, I primarily use an iPad on the road and MS Word is not available. So, I opened and copied it, pasted the form into a reply to his e-mail, filled it out and requested an-e-mail confirmation that he had received it and the order would be placed. Two hours later, no reply.

Not what I call great customer service to this point.

TJ

Sorry to hear that! Certainly not the experiences I've had with them. I hope the situation improves drastically and quickly for you.

Well, here's a follow-up.

After waiting 4+ hours for a requested confirmation that my e-mailed "form" was received and was acceptable (since I had to copy-and-paste the text into an e-mail), I called PTL again. "Jason" was not available, I was told but the woman who answered asked if she could answer any questions.

So, I explained the reason for my call and was told that she had seen my e-mail and that it was "OK." She also said that since they were closed for the 4th of July week, they were "running behind" and my part probably wouldn't ship this week. I explained my circumstances and asked if there was a way to expedite the order and/or have it sent FexEx 2nd day. "That won't happen," I was told. She did offer to add a note to my order that I would only be at my current address for about 10 days. What I found interesting was her comment that another reason they were "running behind" as one of their customer service staff abruptly quit, as did one of their parts staff. It sounds to me like there is some upheaval going on at PTL.

I probably should have let sleeping dogs lie, but I politely expressed my frustration with the order process and was told "well, you are free to buy the part through a dealer, we only sell parts as a service to customers." We left it it that!

Hopefully, others will have a better experience with PTL than I have to date.

TJ

Last edited:
I probably should have let sleeping dogs lie, but I politely expressed my frustration with the order process and was told "well, you are free to buy the part through a dealer, we only sell parts as a service to customers." We left it it that!

Hopefully, others will have a better experience with PTL than I have to date.

TJ
Wow - so much for customer service. Any idea if there is a dealer besides Newmar that will sell the part at the same price as the factory and can get it shipped quicker?

I dealt with Noell and nothing but a good experience, this was back in November. I don’t know if COVID has had an effect.

I dealt with Noell and nothing but a good experience, this was back in November. I don’t know if COVID has had an effect.
I didn't ask specifically, @NWIP, but I'm kinda wondering if Noell was the one who left. The woman who I spoke with neither offered her name nor did she handle things in a manner that you and others have described of Noell. Maybe it was just a bad day at PTL.

With my experience with PTL, if I ever need another door part, I think I may just bite the bullet and pay Newmar's inflated price. In all my dealings with Newmar, I have always been treated well.

TJ

A little internet research turned up the fact that Noell Daoust no longer works at PTL. Her last day was June 25. She is now focusing on developing a photography business and working at a Mexican restaurant on the side. Don't know the reason for her departure, but by the comments on this thread, it would appear to be PTL's loss.

That may explain the change in attitude with PTL's customer service folks.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi ...good digging, there are no secrets anymore!

Latest resources

Back