Cornerstone
RV Length
Chassis
FL
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler
For you that don’t know my history, in 2017 I started looking at getting a 4369 Dutch Star. My research told be that the Spartan was the only way to go, thicker frame, disc brakes on all axles and a lifetime warranty on the frame were some of the key selling features. With no price difference it was a no brainer to me so instead of purchasing dealer unit on a FL I waited 8 months for my Spartan. Neil and I had many long discussions over my opinion that Spartan was far superior to FL🙂.
My Spartan porpoised so bad when hitting a dip on the FWY that I felt a lose of control. Spartan knew the “fix” was better front shocks but would not replace mine without a fight, they finally sent me the shocks and it helped about 75% but never totally eliminated the condition.

The following numbers are not exact but close, please chime in if you have exact numbers:
Spartan up-charges started :
2019 Spartan was a $3000
2020 $4500
2021- 2022 was approx $5,000
2023 and 2024 $8000
And now 2025 $15,400!
BTW by 2019 they both had drum brakes on the Tag

Has anyone here ever heard of or known someone with a FL chassis in the last 10 years that has cracked or broken?

So I purchased my 2023 DS 4369 on FL and found no porpoising, love the steering column and steering wheel controls and the ride was very noticeably better
I now have a 2025 Cornerstone on order with a fl chassis and guess what, a Spartan or FL are the same cost at Entegra.
How much will be to much to consider a Spartan?

Please let me add a few items to your otherwise well justified comments.

THIS IS THE RV INDUSTRY! Respectfully, lets not make this a ford/chevy discussion.
Because, it is not. It is US v THEM!

Folks, please understand, these problems are the problems of monopolies, if not, at least near monopolies. They abuse the process as much as they can, because, thats how they make more PROFITS, at OUR expense. Sometimes it is X other times it is Y. At the end, it comes out of our pockets, regardless. We need to focus at the sources of the problem, the execs who make poor choices which only comes at our expense.

Now, let me add a few basic facts to your otherwise justified criticism.

Yes spartan F shock was an issue. Freightliner's Newmar hi-line chassis also had F shock problems, maybe some owners don't notice, but their initial turn in, the coach would roll big time. It felt like a gasser negotiating a curve or lane change at hwy speed. The issue eventually was addressed in 2020 with longer F shocks (48mm-60mm).

When FCCC was added to newmar lineup along with spartan, there was always an up charge for spartan. NEWMAR (not spartan, IMO), dropped the up charge in 2017 and 2018 spartan lineup because Freightliner's tag axle had very serious issues. That was the only reason. Lets just say, there were concerns, if the freightliner tag problem became "known", losing newmar market share was not desirable. Hence, the spartan up charge was eliminated to potentially help with that scenario. Your observation of that price variation is well justified, but for the wrong reasons.

Now, once more, just because most owners either do not know, or don't pay attention, these various issues are routinely ignored by the manufacturer, if they can getaway with it. The spartan up charge came back, when the freightliner tag axle issue was addressed for 2018 model years.

Newmar's posting of this communicationto NHTSA, is a serious matter, which eventually needs to be addressed.

An Spartan chassis in a newmar v entgra v Foretravel are not necessary one and the same, even if they are the very same K2, or K3 chassis. There are differences in components and specs, which would cause price differences.

Competition is the ONLY equalizer. With no competition, it is just a matter of time one get worst than the other and the down ward cycle continues.

Please folks, we need to focus on addressing these issues thru the proper channels and raise our voices to all the manufacturer's involved. Obviously, educating others about various short comings are essential. However, we need to let the decision makers hear us DIRECTLY, because, they depend on having access to OUR pockets.

Don't this opportunity (your voice, your influence) go to waste. Sometimes, just a simple letter to the exec stating, “I am disappointed at cust service/lack of quality, etc.. what ever, therefore,YOUR BRAND may not be a consideration on my next RV purchase”. Such correspondence will have an influence, when some number of owners make an effort and communicate to these execs accordinngly.

Respectfully, we need to find ways of getting OUR voices heard VERY loud and clear by these decision makers. So they understand ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

After a life of time work, while planning some years of tranquility to enjoy retirement or just a vacation trip, these abuses for the sake some low***e exec cutting corners should not be acceptable to anyone.

Interesting that Entegra has no upcharge for Spartan on the CS.

It’s almost as if Newmar is telling us to not buy Spartan.

Interesting that Entegra has no upcharge for Spartan on the CS.

It’s almost as if Newmar is telling us to not buy Spartan.
Or I was thinking how do we know that Newmar isn’t taking advantage of the Spartan loyalists and taking the (hypothetically)15% markup that Spartan is giving them and they make it 30% or more?

It is a Recreational Vehicle. Thus it is purchased with Disposable income.

As country folks have said; "if you can't run with the big dogs, stay under the porch.

As to price increases, best look at those who have served in Washington for more than 10 years. Time to wipe, flush, and start clean. That says term limits for ALL!

Let's keep politics or political insinuations off the forum please. I'm not editing or deleting, just a warning going forward.

Thank you.

Never drank the Spartan Kool aid. Maybe 10 years ago there was a difference, but seriously, how many FL chassis's failed? Plus FL made up for it with its extensive number of service centers

Never drank the Spartan Kool aid. Maybe 10 years ago there was a difference, but seriously, how many FL chassis's failed? Plus FL made up for it with its extensive number of service centers
Totally agree, I know of no one that has had a chasiss fail
back in 2018 I argued that Spartan was the best with a tricker frame with a lifetime warranty🤣😂

Latest resources

Back