Canyon Star 3205
RV Length
Chassis
Workhorse w20
Engine
8.1 L Vortec
Fulltimer
No
When I fuel up at most service stations, it usually cuts off at $100.00 Well, as most of you know, that's not even half a tank ? So is it my banking relationships, or the service station, or some other policy that limits the purchase. At Costco, using my Costco Anywhere Card it cuts me off at $150.00 Now, what I have to do is re-boot and do it again to get to $200.00 Then maybe again to $300.00 if I'm low on fuel. It's a pain, but mostly I'd like to know why it happens and if it happens to you as well.

I usually fuel at truck stops - Pilot/Flying J. I never go below half,but I know many gas stations have a $75 or $100 limit. It is probably to limit loss in the case of a drive-off. Crazy world we live in.

Most gas stations do this. It's a pain in the butt for sure. Truck stops using the truck pumps is the answer.

Yep, gas stations I've been to do this, $95 or $100 unless you go in and pre-auth. As I have two CC's I'll just use both to fuel up. I haven't tried reusing the same card after a stop/closeout/redo.

It works the other way also. We generally use one credit card. We can roll along for months without any issues. The CC company is used to us using it in different states at different times. Every once and awhile we will be on a long local motorcycle ride and I will get gas twice in a day, maybe $12 and $10 each time, then maybe we will be in another spot 75 miles away and have dinner. The next day our card will have a security hold on it. These small gas purchases freaks the CC companies out and makes them think someone stole your card.

If I'm not at a truck stop, I go in and pre-auth when I know I'm going over $100.

I asked about this also and found out the nominal number for cutoff seems to be $75. Apparently, the station is allowed that amount from the credit card company for that amount in case of a drive off without paying.

This is precisely why we opted for the Flying J (Goodsam) program. No limit of fuel sales (so far). Just put in the Flying J card and pump away.
When we went to California, we couldn't get more than a 1/4 tank of fuel before switching to a different credit card when at a non Flying J station. Huge PIA.

I have been trying to get a Love's card as well but no luck to date.

Yep, gas stations I've been to do this, $95 or $100 unless you go in and pre-auth. As I have two CC's I'll just use both to fuel up. I haven't tried reusing the same card after a stop/closeout/redo.
Most times my main CC will allow me to do the second round, but almost always balks at a 3rd, so I pull out my backup card on those occasions.

Latest resources

Back