Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
I have Carefree everything, main awning, door awning, and all my slide toppers. I have noticed the stitching failing on the ends of the slide toppers but they still functioned as designed so I wasn't going to do anything about it just yet. My plan was to wait until my main awning finally failed. It has been failing to lock back when retracting and recently on several occasions I have had to put it out a foot or so and retract it a couple times to get it set.

Up on the roof this morning and discovered my bedroom slide topper has completely pulled out in the middle. Since there are a couple set screws on each end I assume that is the only reason why it hasn't come completely apart from the roof line.

Need some advise from folks that may have had issues with Carefree. First off, can I remove the rest of the bedroom slide topper fabric from the roof line and when I do this will the fabric simply roll up inside the cylinder? Also, does Nappanee service center repair and/or replace Carefree awnings and slide toppers?

Thanks in advance.

I have Carefree everything, main awning, door awning, and all my slide toppers. I have noticed the stitching failing on the ends of the slide toppers but they still functioned as designed so I wasn't going to do anything about it just yet. My plan was to wait until my main awning finally failed. It has been failing to lock back when retracting and recently on several occasions I have had to put it out a foot or so and retract it a couple times to get it set.

Up on the roof this morning and discovered my bedroom slide topper has completely pulled out in the middle. Since there are a couple set screws on each end I assume that is the only reason why it hasn't come completely apart from the roof line.

Need some advise from folks that may have had issues with Carefree. First off, can I remove the rest of the bedroom slide topper fabric from the roof line and when I do this will the fabric simply roll up inside the cylinder? Also, does Nappanee service center repair and/or replace Carefree awnings and slide toppers?

Thanks in advance.

It's interesting as I'm considering having an awning installed on my S&B deck due to the brutal sun. In chatting with my neighbor he brings up a good point. While we may choose "Sunbrella" as a top quality fabric, the lowest common denominator is the THREADS. My 3 year old Ventana is spitting threads as well and I have a small tear in the middle of the FWS topper I'm keeping an eye on.

I wonder how long the Girard fabrics/awnings are holding up in comparison as I bet that's a pretty penny to replace. Carefree isn't going to be cheap either but it's not nearly as big. @Chuggs recently replaced his FWS topper and has some good 411 on that such as material, where he got it, discount, etc. when he can chime in.

Just received a quote of 1600. Installed for all three toppers from Stone Vos

I went with Tough Top Awnings. RVGeeks have published discount codes... I think they have been a promotor of Tough Top Awnings for over four years...

Last edited:
Just received a quote of 1600. Installed for all three toppers from Stone Vos

I glanced at their site. The Brooksville facility would only be about 95 miles from my leased lot in Florida. Do they install toppers there?

It's interesting as I'm considering having an awning installed on my S&B deck due to the brutal sun. In chatting with my neighbor he brings up a good point. While we may choose "Sunbrella" as a top quality fabric, the lowest common denominator is the THREADS. My 3 year old Ventana is spitting threads as well and I have a small tear in the middle of the FWS topper I'm keeping an eye on.

I wonder how long the Girard fabrics/awnings are holding up in comparison as I bet that's a pretty penny to replace. Carefree isn't going to be cheap either but it's not nearly as big. @Chuggs recently replaced his FWS topper and has some good 411 on that such as material, where he got it, discount, etc. when he can chime in.
I agree that the threads may be the most important part of the equation. I read somewhere, probably IRV2, that Carefree stopped using cloth threads recently and went to more of a fishing line thread due to issues. Really considering my coach has been in warm sunny climates for almost 3 years the black fabric has held up pretty well. Too bad the stitching starting failing after about a year.

There are some pretty good videos out there on replacing the slide topper fabric yourself. They certainly are going to be helpful showing me how to remove my faulty bedroom topper fabric today.

I sent a message to Newmar asking about having awning/slide topper repairs done at Nappanee and available appointment dates later this fall. I'll wait and see what they say before deciding on a course of action.

Can someone smart with a needle and thread redo just the threading?

Yes, they install there. They have two electrical hookups. You can go in, they will measure and manufacture and then install the next day

Can someone smart with a needle and thread redo just the threading?

Yes I don’t see why not, we had this exact thing done to boat canvas when it started coming apart due to thread failure. After 25 years of sitting in sun had to replaced.

Latest resources

Back