• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Carefree Slide Topper & Other Issues

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Yes, they install there. They have two electrical hookups. You can go in, they will measure and manufacture and then install the next day

Thanks for information. I may contact them and go that route. I can find out from them later but do you know if they service or replace Carefree patio awnings? The fabric on my awning is in pretty good shape but is sprung or damaged and not rolling in properly all the time. If they don't I can have it taken care of in Florida through a mobile tech.

Newmar CS replied to my email immediately this morning. They are out to November for retail appointments but would be more than happy to book me for the work. Problem is I'm not about to stay this far north for November.

Yes, they told me they are experts on the carefree springs and mechanisms

Good to know Corey, thanks.

Just a side note to this. When I removed the old fabric from the bedroom slide topper I was amazed at how the UV had aged it. Based on a close examination of this OEM material from Carefree I would guess that all my toppers only have about another year or so of life left in them. This has nothing to do with the cloth thread failing, it has more to do with how dried out and worn out they feel.

The topper material is different that what Carefree uses for the main awning. The main awning material appears and feels like it is in pretty good shape. After I have all these slide toppers replaced I'm going to have to investigate what to start treating them with in order to get more than 3 years out of them.

Does anyone use 303 Fabric Guard on their toppers or awnings? I own this but have never used it. I'm not sure if it would make a difference. Hmmm, maybe I should reconsider.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000221H08/?tag=rvf01-20

fabric-guard-303.png

Thought I would revisit and update this old thread just in case anyone else was considering using Stone Vos for slide topper replacement and going to Brooksville to have their sister company (Talin RV) install them.

I talked to them in June. She had me measure them and also send her a photo. Based on that they were able to provide me a solid quote for the 3 toppers and the install. She said I could make an appointment for an overnight stay. They would re-measure and make them up the first afternoon and then install them the next morning, or I could pay up front to have them made then make an appointment for a day visit to have them installed.

I decided just to make the 2 day appointment and not pay in advance, especially since I was making the arrangements several months out. I showed up at their facility Tuesday just after 11am just as my appointment called for. Of course this was after receiving 3 different reminder emails this month from them plus I phoned them Monday to make sure everything was still good-to-go.

THE BAD: Their Brooksville shop has a small parking lot in front that slopes down to the street. Even though I know I'm not suppose to put my slides out while on jacks it was too unlevel not to try. I auto leveled and got out to have a look. My driver's side steer tire was 3 inches off the ground. My driver's side drive dual was almost 5 inches off the ground with the tag just kind of dangling. The reveal on my full wall slide appeared pinched in the back. I immediately came off the jacks and back on suspension. After some conversation with the manager/owner of Talin RV he found enough lumber to get me closer to level so the slides could be deployed.

They didn't even do any measuring until almost closing time. He told me that they were tied up with getting the other coach done but they would do their best to get me taken care of the next day. The next day my midmorning update was that they would try their best to at least get my two small toppers done but I could have to stay another night to get the full wall slide topper done. At this point I simply told him to let me know as soon as my toppers were ready because I would be loading them up and going elsewhere to have them installed. About an hour later they produced my toppers, I paid and pulled out. TALIN RV DOES NOT HONOR ADVANCE APPOINTMENTS!!!!!

THE GOOD: The toppers appear to be high quality. The staff never got snippy or upset when I told them I was going elsewhere.

They were always friendly and professional. The manager/owner said Talin RV was a "new" business and to be honest I just don't think they have a clue how to run the place. If they continue to make appointments and then not honor them I think they will find that in the RV business you will go broke in a hurry. I wish I would have just had them send the stupid toppers to me and I could have saved the $70 in diesel fuel and a sleepless night in their lot on 30amp with trains blasting their whistles 60 yards away.

I had Classic Coach Works in Ormond Beach Florida replace a couple slide toppers for me when I had all my renovations done. They did the drivers side living room slide and the passenger side living/kitchen slide. Both of them are fairly large but the passenger side also has the awning in the way. They did a very nice job!

I found a place in Avon Park (12 miles from our leased lot) called CLASS A RV SERVICE AND REPAIR. They actually have a large building and work on your RV inside. I will visit their facility in the next couple of days but after talking to them on the phone I'm pretty sure they will be installing the toppers. They use hydraulic lifts along side your coach to work off of. He even quoted the labor rate, full wall slide was $350, any smaller slide topper install was $100 each.

Classic Coach Works in Ormond Beach FL. did my front 2 slides for $595. They did a nice job!

Classic Coach Works in Ormond Beach FL. did my front 2 slides for $595. They did a nice job!
I'll be headed just down the road to Class A RV Repair in a couple of hours. I sure hope I can say the same thing this afternoon "they did a nice job".

I'll be headed just down the road to Class A RV Repair in a couple of hours. I sure hope I can say the same thing this afternoon "they did a nice job".
What city is that close to Joe? Do they have a website?

Latest resources

Back