Changed My Mind on Peplink Purchase I think

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

"EZ"

Internet Forum Junkie since there was dial up!
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Holiday Rambler
RV Model
Ambassador
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
OK. I think you guys have helped guide me away from theo,Peplink dual Cat 12 modem that I was going to buy. I don't think I'll really use 2 modems. SO I was thinking the Max Transit Cat 18 would be the right one. But when I went back to the 5G Store website I see that they have a new Max Transit 5G Cat 20 available! Might as well get the latest and greatest, right? But I have a couple questions...........

1. Will a 5G modem work on a 4G tower? Is it backward compatible or am I going to have issues until everyone upgrades their towers to 5G? If that's the case I'll just get the Max Transit Cat 18.

2. They are making you check a box saying you understand that Verizon and AT&T certifications are pending. What does that mean? Their sim cards won't work until they certify the new Cat 20 modem? Again if I'm going to have trouble I'll just get the Cat 18 box.

Here's a link..............Pepwave MAX Transit Router With 1 x Global 5G/Cat 20 LTE Modem + PrimeCare, 17 Reviews : 5Gstore.com.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Since it’s a newer modem (5G) you may experience unique issues since not yet certified. I also think for now, 5G benefits would be limited in the types of areas RV’s usually camp. As for your purchase, the cat12 may not be a bad idea, what carriers were you planning on using? A key benefit of Peplink products is managing multiple connections for best uptime and performance. So having multiple modems is valuable. The cat18 unit is great but I’d suggest you pair it with an additional modem on the WAN port using a different carrier. Do you already have an existing mifi to use with a new peplink? If not, that’s where the CAT12 can make sense. It’s still pretty darn fast and provides a lot of flexibility.

OK. I think you guys have helped guide me away from theo,Peplink dual Cat 12 modem that I was going to buy. I don't think I'll really use 2 modems. SO I was thinking the Max Transit Cat 18 would be the right one. But when I went back to the 5G Store website I see that they have a new Max Transit 5G Cat 20 available! Might as well get the latest and greatest, right? But I have a couple questions...........

1. Will a 5G modem work on a 4G tower? Is it backward compatible or am I going to have issues until everyone upgrades their towers to 5G? If that's the case I'll just get the Max Transit Cat 18.

2. They are making you check a box saying you understand that Verizon and AT&T certifications are pending. What does that mean? Their sim cards won't work until they certify the new Cat 20 modem? Again if I'm going to have trouble I'll just get the Cat 18 box.

Here's a link..............Pepwave MAX Transit Router With 1 x Global 5G/Cat 20 LTE Modem + PrimeCare, 17 Reviews : 5Gstore.com.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
5G cellular routers are backwards compatible such as my iPhone 12 Pro with 5G also will show 4G when in remote areas as I was recently in. Not a concern.

If I was buying today I would get the latest and greatest and have no issues with the Pepwave 5G / CAT 20.

They all have bugs, my Max Transit has a problem with Verizon and not reconnecting after changing locations at times and needs a reboot. This is discussed on the Peplink forum, wasn't an issue on my prior Pepwave. Just the nature of technology.

There is always something newer coming in computers, cellular, phones, etc. At some point you have to buy in when your need is there.

Latest resources

Back