• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Changing out the mattress in used motorhome

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
A great many people swear by them, but we tossed ours in favor of the memory foam. Mattresses are such personal choices.

Getting back to something you said earlier, I have not noticed a heat issue with ours. I do recall that being an issue at one time, but I think they overcame that.

The only problem we have discovered with memory foam is sometimes it develops dementia. We are on number two in our master bedroom at home. The first one became a little too familiar with our forms after about 6-7 years.
Dementia!! ? Yes that’s the reason I mentioned it was a couple of decades ago that we tried the memory foam mattress. Evidently my in-laws also didn’t like it ..or others complained ...I don’t know, but they got rid of it. I had wondered, since it’s been so long, and surely others had the same problem, if they had overcome the heat issue.

Latex isn’t so much heavy I guess as it is difficult to maneuver once it’s been

we donated ours to a charity. They said unused mattresses were so hard to come by, they’d have their carpenter adjust one of their bed frames to make it fit.
Ah, no, I should’ve worded it differently. I meant to ask how do you get the old one out? That is if it’s a regular mattress.

I didn't think to mention Sleep Number, our MH came with a poor foam mattress but shipped new with a SN. We didn't care for the foam.
We exchanged for a S N and love it, so much so we also bought one for home.

Ah, no, I should’ve worded it differently. I meant to ask how do you get the old one out? That is if it’s a regular mattress.
Oh, it was me and a neighbor. We literally just bagged it inside a mattress bag, then picked it up, put it on its side on the floor, slid it to the front and then wrestled it out the front door. It was slightly bigger than our front door but it’s a mattress - it flexes and bends and twists and we did all of those things to it. Once it was out the door, we just carried it inside the building.

It’s a mattress, it’s not going to break and you’re unlikely to break anything squeezing it through the front door.

Believe me Latex is the best I ever slept on. Check sleeponlatex.com for more info.

I agree 100% but latex is also the heaviest. It will add weight to the unit and will be hard to move. The OP is already worried about a regular mattress, latex is going to be more challenging.

That said, I agree with everyone who has suggested buying the mattress in a box vacuum packed and only opening it after it's in place where the mattress will go. That will make moving it much easier whether it's memory foam or latex.

I agree 100% but latex is also the heaviest. It will add weight to the unit and will be hard to move. The OP is already worried about a regular mattress, latex is going to be more challenging.

That said, I agree with everyone who has suggested buying the mattress in a box vacuum packed and only opening it after it's in place where the mattress will go. That will make moving it much easier whether it's memory foam or latex.
OK consider foam with a latex topper

The strange thing I found about latex was that it wasn’t really terrible until I unboxed it and let it roll out. That was when it became like working with whale blubber. Luckily, I was smart enough to wait until I’d removed the old mattress and then I just unboxed it in the bed platform and let it air up so it wasn’t really that much trouble.

however, another cool thing about latex is that is is completely consistent through and through - meaning you can slice it into sections with a box cutter to make it way more manageable. Usually, the latex mattress and mattress fabric are separate items, meaning the mattress fabric works more like a mattress cover over the latex layers. This, combined with the sheer density, weight and consistency of latex is what holds it all together, preventing you from “falling into the cracks” or even noticing that they are there.

Latex also comes in different densities, allowing you to have different layers of different densities (eg firmness) stacked on top of each other. Don’t like how it feels? Rearrange your layers!

DW and I love latex. For us - it’s perfect.

zip sheets though. I can’t stress how important they are for making latex a breeze in an RV. You do not want to be trying to lift a corner of a latex mattress in an RV to wrap a fitted sheet around it. Zip sheets. Zip sheets. Zip sheets. Say it with me...

My husband had an idea, so I did a bit of research - Two XL Twins = 1 king. Twins would be a lot easier to wrangle... We have to find our motorhome first. Not buying until next year.

My husband had an idea, so I did a bit of research - Two XL Twins = 1 king. Twins would be a lot easier to wrangle... We have to find our motorhome first. Not buying until next year.
Only issue with that is you get the seam down the middle. If neither of you move during your sleep and don’t mind things occasionally falling between the two, it should work fine. Me? I toss and turn more than the washer on spin cycle. I’ve been known to wake up looking like a burrito.

Latest resources

Back