• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Chevy Colorado as a TOAD

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We have towed ours for 3 plus years, it's a great toad. Use roadmaster solenoid switch to disconnect battery. As mentioned, follow instructions carefully when putting into tow mode.

I just finished setting up my 2018 Canyon to flat tow behind the 4081 Dutch Star. I installed a Road Master direct connect base plate kit, a Road Master Universal light wiring kit and a remoter battery shut off system. A friend sold me his older Road Master Black Hawk tow bar so I am set. Heading to Monterey Bay for the Holiday weekend. I test drove the coach with the Toad attached and did not even know it was back there. I practiced attaching and unhooking the Toad and getting it into and out of neutral several times to get the routine down. I really don’t want to experience any issues! I had to use a three inch drop hitch to level out the tow bar. Excited to not be park bound when we go places now.

Attachments

• 84742C00-47EB-4642-B146-48EB279F5063.jpeg
    84742C00-47EB-4642-B146-48EB279F5063.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 68821653-01E9-4079-BF1A-8F954AC5D35E.jpeg
    68821653-01E9-4079-BF1A-8F954AC5D35E.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 3CFC1DF0-99B2-49CF-BA58-06067FC0BDBA.jpeg
    3CFC1DF0-99B2-49CF-BA58-06067FC0BDBA.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
I just finished setting up my 2018 Canyon to flat tow behind the 4081 Dutch Star. I installed a Road Master direct connect base plate kit, a Road Master Universal light wiring kit and a remoter battery shut off system. A friend sold me his older Road Master Black Hawk tow bar so I am set. Heading to Monterey Bay for the Holiday weekend. I test drove the coach with the Toad attached and did not even know it was back there. I practiced attaching and unhooking the Toad and getting it into and out of neutral several times to get the routine down. I really don’t want to experience any issues! I had to use a three inch drop hitch to level out the tow bar. Excited to not be park bound when we go places now.
I tow a 2018 GMC Canyon and typed out the instructions for into and out of neutral in large print, put it in a clear sleeve and keep it in the glove box.

@Rustycoach Sounds like you may not have pulled a Toad in the past so I'll offer a couple items for your consideration. A) Install a supplemental braking system. This can help with braking while driving particularly if an aggressive stop is needed, but perhaps more importantly will apply the toad brakes in the event of a unplanned separation from the coach. B) Install Tire Pressure Monitoring System for the Toad. If you have a tire blow out / flat on the toad you really want to know.

I tow a 2018 GMC Canyon and typed out the instructions for into and out of neutral in large print, put it in a clear sleeve and keep it in the glove box.
Gotta Copy of that you can share:rolleyes:? I was thinking of doing that as well.
Cheers

That is next on the list. I am thinking of going with the invisi-brake that is permanently installed to avoid another step in the process.
Cheers

First-time poster and member of RVF.
It sounds like most people who enjoy the Colorado as a TOAD are towing it 4 down. Is there anyone that is towing it on a dolly? I ask because I am getting ready to do this myself.

If 2WD I understand the dolly but if 4WD I’m not sure I understand the thought process.

If 2WD I understand the dolly but if 4WD I’m not sure I understand the thought process.
2wd wouldn't you have to pull it bacwards?

Latest resources

Back