• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Chevy Colorado as a TOAD

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
If 2WD I understand the dolly but if 4WD I’m not sure I understand the thought process.
It's a 4WD. Cost and the slight modification of the front air dam are my main thoughts. While the modification of the air dam is minor the cost is the biggest factor. I've asked a couple of shops here what it would cost to outfit for 4 down towing and they quoted me anywhere from 6k - 10k. I've priced set up for 4 down towing and doing it myself which is considerably less expensive 3k - 5k.

The dolly I purchased that was used once cost me $1500. New the dolly is about 3k, so on the lower end of doing set up for 4 down towing myself.

2wd wouldn't you have to pull it bacwards?
Yes 2WD would need to be pulled backwards on a dolly. Per 2016 Colorado manual 2WD are cautioned not to tow 4 down
1674227701260.png

If you haven't bought the Colorado and you're looking at what to get, all I can say is the dolly will be added headache IMHO. You have to deal with loading and unloading your toad, far easier to connect with a tow bar I imagine, and then where to put your dolly at campgrounds is something you'll have to deal with every time. If you can get a toad that you can tow 4 down it's worth it.

I realize this thread is a bit dated but for those with toads that are not flat towable Superior Driveline may be able to help. There are several companies around the country that could assist with the install. I have not used the Superior Driveline product but have spoken with several folks that have used it for a number of years with good results.

Little update. I experimented with putting the Colorado on a tow dolly. I was not at all excited with how it looked and felt going down the road behind our motorhome. Since then I've started to outfit the Colorado to be towed 4 down. Installed the base plates a couple of weeks ago. It was much easier they I thought it was going to be. I've got the tow bars too. Now just need to figure out what supplemental brake system to go with.

Attachments

• PXL_20230402_193630044.jpg
    PXL_20230402_193630044.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230402_220540325.jpg
    PXL_20230402_220540325.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230402_220605634.jpg
    PXL_20230402_220605634.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
We had the stay and play installed on our toad. Just a switch and surge adjustment under the dash.

Has worked flawlessly for the past five years.

Little update. I experimented with putting the Colorado on a tow dolly. I was not at all excited with how it looked and felt going down the road behind our motorhome. Since then I've started to outfit the Colorado to be towed 4 down. Installed the base plates a couple of weeks ago. It was much easier they I thought it was going to be. I've got the tow bars too. Now just need to figure out what supplemental brake system to go with.
We have used "Brake Buddy" for the last ten years. I'm not overly impressed other than it is so simple to install and use. But we have now had to replace the compressor twice. Not all that expensive to do ($350 ish US plus freight to Kansas was and extra $80.00 Cdn.) As full timers we were without for about a month.

Darrell

I also use the stay and play. We had a gas coach when we got our GMC Canyon, so it made a lot of sense. Just was not going to use something that had to be pulled out and put in every time. Since we have a diesel now, may switch to Air Force One when I eventually replace the toad. But hopefully that is quite aways off.

Consider a Ready Brake Tow bar. Stupid simple system that works for us. No electronics or air assist to worry about. It's also simple to install. I do add a couple of bungie cords from the seat to the brake petal (maybe not needed but do it) when setting up to tow.
Lots of positive reviews on it

Latest resources

Back