RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3343
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Ford Edge Titanium
I can’t find my coax splitter(s). For the two and one half years we’ve owned the coach the cable TV has worked fine. Recently we’ve stayed in two campgrounds where the cable was relatively new and all digital. In both cases we’ve had terrible reception.

In both instances the cable technician hooked a cable directly from the pedestal to our outside TV, bypassing the coach wiring, and it worked fine. In both cases the technicians told me there was a great deal of interference. In the most recent instance the technician showed me on his meter that the interference was in exactly the frequency they use to broadcast the HD signal.

I have read other posts where forum members have said that the coax splitters used by Newmar aren't adequate for newer HD signals and they need to be replaced. Long story to get to my question:

Are there any New Aire owners out there who have successfully located and replaced their splitter(s)? I’ve called Newmar twice for help. The first time I asked for a coax wiring diagram the rep. actually laughed.
banghead.gif
In both instances they told me to locate and remove an access panel cover in the ceiling of the passenger side cargo bays. I have traced the wires along the entire side, removed every access panel, and found nothing. I’ve also looked behind the over-the-air TV antenna, under the kitchen sink, and everywhere else I can access. I’m at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure for the New Aire since we don't have one, but many of the Newmar coaches have a splitter mounted on the wall of the driver-side cargo bay just forward of the pegboard bay. And, many Newmar coaches have one in the back of the electronics cabinet. You might look in both locations.

In addition to replacing the splitters with better-quality units, it is important to install "terminations" in all the unused splitter ports. You can get them at most hardware stores or via Amazon. Also, make sure that ALL coax connections are secure. Just finger-tight is sufficient. Those connections can jiggle loose over time.

Look under sink on back wall as well.

Thanks All-

I did find the splitter attached to the back wall of the televator cabinet. I had called Newmar a third time and was assured it was located in the ceiling of the passenger side cargo compartments. Once I found it in the televator cabinet, it was nearly impossible to access.
facepalm.gif
(Once my shoulder and skinned knuckles heal I’ll be less negative.)

Replacing the Newmar-provided splitter with the one the cable gave me for free totally fixed the problem. I scanned all three TVs and they all accessed the correct 63 HD channels. If our coach had been manufactured in 2012 I could understand the splitter not being HD compatible. We took delivery in January of 2018 - how can anyone say with a straight face that this configuration was appropriate for a coach in Newmar’s luxury line?

I’m happy to be in a Newmar New Aire, but they sure ask a lot of loyalty from owners when they could have (1) provided appropriate equipment in the first place or (2) told me where the thing was located in one of the three calls I made.
banghead.gif
Sorry for the rant. I hope this helps someone else who has this problem.

Ward, thanks for identifying the issue and finding the solution. I just added this to my todo list.

Thanks All-

I did find the splitter attached to the back wall of the televator cabinet. I had called Newmar a third time and was assured it was located in the ceiling of the passenger side cargo compartments. Once I found it in the televator cabinet, it was nearly impossible to access.
facepalm.gif
(Once my shoulder and skinned knuckles heal I’ll be less negative.)

Replacing the Newmar-provided splitter with the one the cable gave me for free totally fixed the problem. I scanned all three TVs and they all accessed the correct 63 HD channels. If our coach had been manufactured in 2012 I could understand the splitter not being HD compatible. We took delivery in January of 2018 - how can anyone say with a straight face that this configuration was appropriate for a coach in Newmar’s luxury line?

I’m happy to be in a Newmar New Aire, but they sure ask a lot of loyalty from owners when they could have (1) provided appropriate equipment in the first place or (2) told me where the thing was located in one of the three calls I made.
banghead.gif
Sorry for the rant. I hope this helps someone else who has this problem.
Hello Ward - can you share how you found the televator cabinet? We have a 2018 New Aire 3341 (televator is behind the booth dinette). .We want to put in a longer hdmi cable - but can't figure out how to get behind the TV. Hope you've recovered from your skinned knuckles :)

Hello Ward - can you share how you found the televator cabinet? We have a 2018 New Aire 3341 (televator is behind the booth dinette). .We want to put in a longer hdmi cable - but can't figure out how to get behind the TV. Hope you've recovered from your skinned knuckles :)
HI HappyKampers-

Unfortunately there is no televator cabinet separate from the actual space that holds the televator. I put the TV part-way up then looked in behind it. Once I located the splitter on the back wall and was clear that this was where I needed to be working, I removed the piece of Corian on top of the TV (springs attached to screws) to get maximum access. All in all, not terrible if you're patient and somewhat flexible. Good luck!

Ward

Today I located the splitter on my 2018 3341...same location as Ward indicated. The attached picture shows the many wires, cables, controllers and splitters hidden in the televator cabinet (the arrow points to the coax splitter prior to removal). The picture was taken after removing the cover as Ward suggested. My reason for swapping the splitter is due to changing from DirecTV to Dish...I can't receive one of the satellite signals when going through the splitter...when connecting a cable directly from the roof to the DIsh, box the signal comes through. As you can see, the removed splitter is specifically designated for DirecTV. I have a splitter on order that is supposed to work with Dish...stay tuned..

Attachments

• B7281678-6292-4852-9245-25731A9C8E39.JPEG
    B7281678-6292-4852-9245-25731A9C8E39.JPEG
    3.5 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2222.jpg
    IMG_2222.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
Ward, thanks for the help. After taking a closer look at the location of the splitter in the televator’ opening, not something I am going to attempt. Gonna leave it to trained technicians. Thanks again for your input.

Latest resources

Back