• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Comfort Drive

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I was under the impression the system reverts to 1 when at slow speed, no?
Makes sense, I usually turn it down prior to getting slow enough I guess.

In a serious crosswind I usually set it at 5-6 and go back and get a beer. 😝👍
it really is a good system.
Yes, when comfort drive is 5 or higher and cruise control is engaged. Now we're co-defendants!

@GlampDaddy sent me a doc on how the Comfort Drive system actually works. I found it quite informative and suggested he upload it to the forum. But a bit of searching shows it's already in the Resource section of the forum.

So here is the link, for those interested in more info on this interesting feature.

@GlampDaddy sent me a doc on how the Comfort Drive system actually works. I found it quite informative and suggested he upload it to the forum. But a bit of searching shows it's already in the Resource section of the forum.

So here is the link, for those interested in more info on this interesting feature.

Keep in mind that the ‘old‘ version of Comfort Drive that Ken Sherwin guided a lot of us on was the ‘older system’ and their is a newer system that has some differences.

Thank you for the reference link.
Regards

Keep in mind that the ‘old‘ version of Comfort Drive that Ken Sherwin guided a lot of us on was the ‘older system’ and their is a newer system that has some differences.

Thank you for the reference link.
Regards
What differences would those be? Are they significant?

What differences would those be? Are they significant?
The differences are that according to Freightliner, you cannot ‘wake up’ comfort as described my Ken Sherwin and one youtube video. I have lost Comfort Drive (CD) on rough interstates and the temp fix is to stop, turn the chassis battery off then back on. That seems to reset it even if FL does not agree.

Another difference is the old CD had an open source diagnostic program written by Ken and his peers. Anyone could use it to diagnose the older CD. The new CD (which has been called Column Drive, ReAx Drive and the latest from FL is Smart Steering or Smart Wheel)

The last difference is only one I have heard from others and that is the newer CD is not as effective as the old. I have not driven an older version and think my newer version works find - when it works.

After experiencing multiple failures driving on South Carolina I-95 roads, I submitted a safety report to NHTSA, called my dealer, called Newmar and Called Freightliner. Newmar conferenced me with Freightliner (FL) and all agreed that I might check the two plugs to make sure they were inserted and locked. They were. Then Freightliner had me drive the coach to their facility and that facility said I was experiencing multiple faults of the ‘clockspring’ and replaced it. Both Newmar and FL not consider it fixed. I won’t know until I hit some rough roads. The CD plug connections Do not run through the clockspring so I don’t know how that helps. Unless it is the dash and CD steering effort somehow faults and the error “steering effort ctrl disabled” appears.

I still believe in the benefit of CD and hope it is really fixed. It does make a difference.

The differences to me are not significant. The significant issue is losing Comfort Drive after hitting a pothole, bridge abutment of something causing a hard bump. NOTE: These occur when I am unable to take evasive action due to traffic. I see the obstruction buy cannot avoid them. It is important to realize this happens on DOT roads that are open for traffic.

Hope some of this helps.

The last difference is only one I have heard from others and that is the newer CD is not as effective as the old. I have not driven an older version and think my newer version works find - when it works.
Thank you, FloridaSon. This is all news to me, but that's no surprise as I have never owned a coach with CD before. I wonder, what years are considered to be the "old" CD? My coach is a 2016, do you know if that would be the Old CD?

I do know that the new coaches have the CD controls buried in the dash menus instead of a knob that is easy to locate and adjust.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back