• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bigblockyeti

RVF VIP
RV Make
Still shopping
The BHKS in particular with the quad bunks is very appealing to me. The unit in question has all the bells and whistles included that we're looking for and while a bit cozy inside, meets the criteria for being towed with what I have vs. shelling out $60K for a new 1/2 ton pickup. How does the Micro Lite lineup fair? Is 2016 early enough to avoid the later quality issues that are apparently a "thing" as I've learned on this site? Any suggestions, ideas or comments are welcome!

Our 2016 253RLXL has been great. A few things had to be replaced but those are considered consumable items. Tires, battery, water pump, Dometic 300 POS toilet, etc.

I thought I would revist this as I'm looking at other smallish (under 6500lb GVWR) quad bunkhouse trailers. The hybrids I looked at and they still have the primary drawback of a popup at considerably greater price - canvas. I've also looked at TrailManor collapsible trailers, which I haven't ruled out yet as the reduced frontal area is appealing but putting it up and taking down like legos could old. A quad bunkhouse seems to best fit the bill, the hard part is finding a lightweight one. So far I've found:
  1. 2016 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BHKS
  2. 2015-16 Jayco Jay Feather X254 (my favorite so far with the layout)
  3. 2016-19 Sonic 234VBH
If there are others, please do let me know. 32" x 74" or larger beds in the quad bunkhouse are my target and they're out there, just in much larger & heavier TT that I've found so far. I want something the kids can grow into and sharing a twin bed labeled as a "double" isn't going to win anyone over now and much less in the future. A three burner range is also a top priority as many in this size & weight start to offer less in the way of cooking. I don't care about an outdoor kitchen and an outdoor shower would be nice but far from a necessity. The perfect TT is out there somewhere, hopefully not just in my mind ready for me to make it, I'd much rather find someting already manufactured.

I thought I would revist this as I'm looking at other smallish (under 6500lb GVWR) quad bunkhouse trailers. The hybrids I looked at and they still have the primary drawback of a popup at considerably greater price - canvas. I've also looked at TrailManor collapsible trailers, which I haven't ruled out yet as the reduced frontal area is appealing but putting it up and taking down like legos could old. A quad bunkhouse seems to best fit the bill, the hard part is finding a lightweight one. So far I've found:
  1. 2016 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BHKS
  2. 2015-16 Jayco Jay Feather X254 (my favorite so far with the layout)
  3. 2016-19 Sonic 234VBH
If there are others, please do let me know. 32" x 74" or larger beds in the quad bunkhouse are my target and they're out there, just in much larger & heavier TT that I've found so far. I want something the kids can grow into and sharing a twin bed labeled as a "double" isn't going to win anyone over now and much less in the future. A three burner range is also a top priority as many in this size & weight start to offer less in the way of cooking. I don't care about an outdoor kitchen and an outdoor shower would be nice but far from a necessity. The perfect TT is out there somewhere, hopefully not just in my mind ready for me to make it, I'd much rather find someting already manufactured.
I bought 2 jayfeathers new. Both were major disappointments.

I've heard similar accounts from others. It seems anything that's light weight or supposed to be has many corners cut to meet design criteria. That being said, I'm not willing to pay 3x as much $$ for something that's 30-40% better from a number of warranty claims perspective.

Look at the small frames on the jayfeather. At least in 2008 my frame ripped out at the suspension shackles and totaled the trailer.

I've seen complaints across every manufacturer with Lippert frames. I don't know if the TT manufacturers are specing the frames exactly then sending it to build or coming close and allowing Lippert to fine tune some of the frame details after throwing a little FEA on it to see where things are most stressed?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back