Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RDMOCALA

RVF Regular
2015 Ventana LE on Freightliner chassis with Cummins engine. Got this engine code after check engine light came on. Motor seems to run ok with light on. Comes on about an hour after starting. Stays on until engine is shut off. Stays off for about an hour after starting again. Any help is highly appreciated.

1569 is engine torque derate so there is something else going on. Check for other codes to find out why - derate is a result of the system “protecting” the engine. More commonly its because of an emissions problem and there is no danger to the engine or anything else - more form of punishment for not attending to the emissions problem.

But the issue you face is that derating happens incrementally. The first stage is only 25% so you might not even notice it unless you are towing or driving in the mountains, but its inly a matter of time (and not very much of it) until you go into the 2nd and 3rd stages and finally the thing will leave you stranded, limiting you to 5mph or not moving at all. So you have to figure this out asap.

In the mean time limit ingition cycles to the absolute minimum (don’t start and stop the thing) and don’t add fuel unless absolutely necessary. There might be other things you can do to delay derating but I can’t think of them at the moment. The main thing is to find out why you got the 1569. You need the accompanying codes for that. If your LBCU doesn’t give you the accompanying code(s) you’ll need a code reader to get them. Some Cummins codes don’t appear on the LBCU.

PM with email address sent. Hopefully you aren't stranded somewhere. This is probably DEF related and fortunately you are dealing with a pre-2016 chassis so there are things you do on the road. I’ll watch for upfates.

PM with email address sent. Hopefully you aren't stranded somewhere. This is probably DEF related and fortunately you are dealing with a pre-2016 chassis so there are things you do on the road. I’ll watch for upfates.
We are in a campground in Streetsboro Ohio and will be leaving for Florida (home) tomorrow morning. Email is [email protected]

I have a 2014 and got this code. Engine on dash was outlined but no light on. Cummins told me it was "in active" and not to worry. It eventually went out and has not returned as of yet. What are the things you can do on the road?

I have a 2014 and got this code. Engine on dash was outlined but no light on. Cummins told me it was "in active" and not to worry. It eventually went out and has not returned as of yet. What are the things you can do on the road?
Rich W sent the following.

Without more codes its impossible to tell what’s going on, and there have been instances of “false derates”. One way to check this is to try to set the cruise control above 55mph. If it wont do it, you are at the initial 25% derate level.

If this is the case there are things you can do to get you home. Don’t shut down while getting fuel. Don’t start the engine for unnecessarily. Also there is a limit to how much fuel you can add at any given time - I think its 25 gallons but I’ll have to check this. I have a list somewhere of ways to delay further derate and how much time/miles you have between stages. Looking for that now. The more you can drive straight through without shutting down, the better. I

One thing that happens to this era DEF system is the level sensor (simple float type) gets hung up on crud and gives false readings causing derate. The fix is to pull the DEF header, clean it, and put back it in with fresh DEF. But you can also try a simple rinse and drain with distilled water a couple times to try to clean it if you lack the tools, logistics, or know-how to pull the header.

Here’s the TSB on that:

Hopefully you’ll make it home with no issues. If you get more codes, post them here. That will really help narrow down what is going on and what you can and can’t do about it. We are headed NE and will likely take 77 north from Charleston WV tomorrow, so maybe our paths will cross and you can use my code readers to see what’s really going on.

I havent found my list of do’s and dont’s when in derate, but essentially the ECM is tracking running time, miles, fuel used (and added) and igntition cycles. Limiting all these things strategically will extend your run time before the next stage of derate.

Last edited:
BTW Streetsboro would be a good stopping point tomorrow. Got a campground recommendation?

We are in a campground in Streetsboro Ohio and will be leaving for Florida (home) tomorrow morning. Email is [email protected]
you might have received three or four emails with the same info this morning - having a little trouble with my account…..

2015 Ventana LE on Freightliner chassis with Cummins engine. Got this engine code after check engine light came on. Motor seems to run ok with light on. Comes on about an hour after starting. Stays on until engine is shut off. Stays off for about an hour after starting again. Any help is highly appreciated.
UPDATE:
We left Streetsboro yesterday morning with no check engine lights on. Drove about 50 miles and got the check engine light. Drove another 20 miles and got a second amber engine light. I decided to stop at a Cummins service center in Hillard Ohio (suburb of Columbus) in Columbus Ohio and have it checked. Arrived about 11am. The service writer brought his little gadget and plugged it in and found the two codes. He said they could look at it after noon (which is a miracle). 4 hours later we were fixed. I am sure part of the time was waiting for the engine to cool down. Service writer told me that the intake sensor goes bad or is clogged and will not measure the boost correctly and you will loose power (which we did). He said the sensor code and the 1569 codes were inter related. Service tech found a hole in the elbow to the compressor which limited the boost and caused the sensor to give a code. He said a bracket for a clip that holds the tubing came loose and wore a hole in the elbow. Coach runs much better now especially in the mountains. Thanks for all of your replies. Hope this helps others. Here is the write up:

22-OCT-2014 30-JUN-2022
ISB6.7 CM2350 B101 73719015
60005 / 0
PAGE 1OF 2 *** CCARD ***
REC VEHICLE MOTOR HOME RE
RECVEH
CEL 2973 FAULT CODE
TORN INTAKE 90 DEGREE SILICONE ELBOW AT THE AIR COMPRESSOR HEAD.
PLUGGED INTO UNIT. FAULT CODE FOR INTAKE MANIFOLD PRESSURE DATA ERRATIC. FIRST, CHECKED VOLTAGE AT THE SENSOR. CORRECT. INTAKE MANIFOLD PRESSURE SENSOR WAS NOT CLOGGED WITH SOOT. REAPPLIED THE THE SENSOR AND PRESSURIZED THE CHARGE AIR COOLING SYSTEM. AIR IS COMING OUT OF THE INTAKE ELBOW OF THE AIR COMPRESSOR. ORDERED. APPLIED TO THE UNIT. REPRESSURIZED THE CHARGE AIR COOLING SYSTEM. HELD 30 PSI. UNIT IS FIXED AND READY FOR PICK UP.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back