• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved desperate about 12v power.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Yes it would work. the power from the genny will run the converter giving you house power and the starter on the genny is supplied by a much larger wire.

In our minds we must isolate house from chassy systems. The only time they are connected is for charging the house battery while underway. because of this we must not confuse ourselves with the chassy system at all.

Any thing added to the coach that the wire from the battery is not fused most of the time within 3ft or before going through a wall was not installed professionally. Think of it this way: if a wire shorts and does not have a fuse the battery may explode. acid would be everywhere maybe even a fire would start. No there is a fuse someplace close to that house battery that would keep that from happening. To bad you are not around williams AZ I would say drive over to my camp and we would fix it.

Sorry it took so long to reply. Some other stuff came up...of course.
Funny thing is....i just drove through williams a couple weeks ago. I just drove, took my time, from California to Kansas via I-40. ?. But i did find where some relays are near my battery. Strange thing is...there is no fuse at all in the little external housing unit where the fuse would go. So that makes me think thats not what im looking for.
So tell me. If i cant find my fuse problem. Whats gonna cost me some money. I think i already know and been looking at them. I will get a picture of what i found when it gets a little lighter outside.

You found what you needed to find The PO likely bypassed the fuse. One of the relays is likely the connection from chassy to house used when engine is running to charge the house. The other relay is likely the relay switched by the switch I told you about with our first posts.
one relay is likely run by the ignition switch, the other relay will have wires run to the switch on some panel.

You can follow the wires and harnesses to their ends or use the tool below. it is used by the electrical industry to follow a wire via a tone imposed on a wire with the tone generator. It is a great way to find bad connections or wire breaks. No power can be applied when using this tool, dead wires only. I would take out the main 12v fuse also so only the one wire will sound.

1598367410977.png

Just a point. If PO removed the fuse from the system, find a way to put it back in. I was not kidding about fire danger.

Im sure you could imagine why i didnt get the picture....i fell back asleep. But here are a few shots of my battery and wiring system and where the fuse is.
I pray that is my problem. Also i have no clue what size fuse goes in there if there isnt one.

Im sure you could imagine why i didnt get the picture....i fell back asleep. But here are a few shots of my battery and wiring system and where the fuse is.
I pray that is my problem. Also i have no clue what size fuse goes in there if there isnt one.
I don't see any pictures. But lets not get ahead of ourselves. is the fuse block still hooked up? the fuse is based on wire size as that is what it is designed to protect, the wire. any smaller fuse will help in troubleshooting however, so you can use a small fuse to see if things get brighter.

wire size 10 AWG 40 amp fuse
wire size 8 AWG 60 amp fuse
Wire size will be printed on insulation along the run.

And yes everything is still hooked up. The only thing i have done is open up the area where my converter is and gave it a good cleaning, (thought I checked every fuse), i bought a new battery even though i knew that wasnt my problem., cleaned the terminals and prayed for my lights to work. But nothing. I read everything i could on line, watch you tube videos till i couldnt take it anymore. All this while on my (taking my time) trip. Then when i got to Kansas i decided to try the forums. Wish i tried the forums while i was still in cali because i bet my lights would be working today.its getting old real fast using my generator, candles, and an ice chest. I just want my "Boopster" to work again.
And as for the tool you showed me. I dont have one but i do have a test light and multimeter.

Latest resources

Back