Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

K-Rae

RVF Regular
Hello everyone. I am new to the forums. This will be cross threaded with (weird 12v power problem by Time on 08/13/2020. I just wanted a new thread for my RV make.
Im having the same exact problem except for my inside power dont come back on. I have been without inside power for about 3 weeks and trying everything and looking everywhere to figure out whats going on.

I have a 1992 fleetwood Flair, 454 engine.
Onan 4000 genset emerald plus.
My external inverter is a Champion digital hybrid 4000 starting watts.
Converter /charger is a 40 amp Magnetek 900 series.

My question is.....so i can preform the cleaning on the push rod for the relay.

WHERE IS THE RELAY SWITCH AND OR THE AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH)

If the cleaning dont work then i dont know where to go from there and im hoping you all can help me out.

The Magnetek is working, its still doing its normal hum while plugged into shore power or using internal or external gennys.

I need to run to the store so if i dont answer for a while thats why.
Let me say I appreciate the feedback and help from everyone in advance.

I enclosed a pic of my Magnetek for reference.
159811890129082513666166956532.jpg
15981189769976286318483284519125.jpg

You are looking in the wrong place. If 12v power is there when generator or house is plugged in the converter is working. Before I go further go to this web page and download your manual. Owner's Manuals
I found nothing in the manual (as I expected) that would switch the 12 volts off. You may find a switch that is turned off when storing your rig to keep the battery from draining because of parasitic load. My 95 winnie had one, I think my mother in laws Pace arrow had one. As stated in your owners manual because of the variety of models no electrical manuals are available.

I would make sure batteries are connected right to produce 12v. Then I would follow with multi-meter where I expected power, like at the fuse block.
if when the gen is running /you have 12v I would disconnect the batteries after the gen was running and see if power was making it's way back to the battery from the converter.

I would look everywhere for a battery disconnect switch that would be used for storage. Good luck.

Well I do live in my RV full time so it hasnt been stored. Everything works perfect from generator to shore power. Batteries charge up. Just nothing from the battery. I tested the control panel when im plugged to shore power and had a reading. But no reading at all when im unplugged.

Well I do live in my RV full time so it hasnt been stored. Everything works perfect from generator to shore power. Batteries charge up. Just nothing from the battery. I tested the control panel when im plugged to shore power and had a reading. But no reading at all when im unplugged.
Just because you live in the RV full time does not mean you didn't hit the switch by accident.

The Magnetek is working, its still doing its normal hum while plugged into shore power or using internal or external gennys.
I wouldn't rely on a "normal hum" to know if the "Magnetek is working." Use a multimeter and check the actual output at the unit. If it has a proper output at the unit, follow the circuit to the next level. I can't help but think that a fuse is out somewhere.

TJ

I wouldn't rely on a "normal hum" to know if the "Magnetek is working." Use a multimeter and check the actual output at the unit. If it has a proper output at the unit, follow the circuit to the next level. I can't help but think that a fuse is out somewhere.

TJ
I checked every fuse in 3 separate places. Only one was out and it wasnt my problem.
As for runnin down the line from point A to point B.....i would greatly appreciate a punch list of A to B. where do i start? Everyone must understand im not a guy who knows mechanics/electrical. I am female, i have had my RV 2 years now and most of which i have fixed myself. Well, except for the master brake cylinder. That went to a shop.
I know very little about electrical but im learning as i go. And would rather ask fellow RV'ers for help rather then pay ridiculously high shop prices.
So any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

The hard way is to follow the wire (get dirty) from the battery back to the converter. You will be looking for a wire of similar size to the wire for the main connection on the fuse block in the house wiring Likely very close to the converter. You will likely find a inline fuse holder, fuseable link(wire that acts like a fuse), or relay.

Or You may find a auto reset breaker close to the battery. if that is the case that breaker is likely the weak link. A little history,
All electrical circuits are fused close to the power source, This is not a maybe but a requirement for fire prevention.

Because you have two power sources, the converter, and the battery bank, proper procedure is fuse both ends of the wire. When you overloaded the circuit (most likely) You were using the battery bank. The fuse close to the battery likely failed. Remember this can be an inline fuse, fuseable link, or auto-reset breaker. If an auto-reset breaker replace it. if it is a fuseable link it will be burned in half. I recommend a auto-reset breaker to replace it with. If it is a fuse replace it making sure you don't replace it with a larger fuse than it already has.

I'm sorry, I sometimes give information thinking others have my training. If you don't get anywhere with this I will give you one more option but it will cost you some money.(not take it in if that is what you are thinking)

Latest resources

Back