• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
In a recent thread on another RV forum, it was pointed out that in some cases, Newmar has covered the bottom end of the engine air intake tube drain (the "duckbill") with insulating foam, preventing proper drainage. In at least one case, some major engine damage apparently resulted from a blocked drain.

I checked our coach yesterday, but couldn't find any evidence of a drain tube. After getting some tips on where specifically to focus my examination, I found the drain tube. It had been totally foamed over. Whether this would have prevented the drain from working properly, I can't say, but I think it certainly had the potential to do so.

I removed enough foam to fully expose the lower end of the drain "duckbill" and probed inside with a smooth, flat stick to ensure that it was open and would drain properly. So far, the confirmed cases of foamed-over drain have occurred on coaches with the Spartan K3 chassis (LADP and MADP), but I recommend that all Newmar owners verify that their drain is uncovered and working properly.

TJ

Thanks for the reminder. I need to go see if I can even access that area. May not be visible in the rear radiator setup.

A couple of cellphone photos (with flash) is a good place to start. I also used a 4x5 hand mirror and flashlight to finally find mine.

TJ

Found ours and all was clear. I was surprised to learn that both rear roof drains are routed to the passenger side.

Anybody know what kind of foam Newmar uses and whether it can be purchased in a spray can? Being something of a "neatness freak," I would like to touch up a couple of areas where I removed foam while looking for and exposing the drain.

TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back