• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Diesel burner noise vs. Propane noise

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Oasis and Aqua Hot burners are probably slightly louder than most propane furnaces I have been around. Not sure I would ever be concerned enough to modify the exhaust on mine though. I guess I just don't see the value of doing it while maybe others may find it to be more of a priority based on their camping style.

Yes … that is the main reason I am wanting to add the muffler. Several times recently we have been at sites that were really tight and the neighbor was actually sitting out very close to the exhaust point. We really don't hear it very much from inside the coach.

Last edited:
Unless the temps are down into the 40's I generally don't run my diesel burner. Having my Oasis set on I/II has never failed to keep up on hot water demand and will even let the furnace run if I want to. Since we generally "follow the sun" all year I guess I probably don't depend on my burner as much as most others.
Plus since my burner exhausts on my curb side it would be impossible for any camping neighbors to be sitting out by it. If our coaches are facing the same direction their sitting area would be on the other side of their coach.

The good thing is based on my camping plans I go where no others go :( I am interested in adding the muffler too, I read the thread over there. I have no problems with anyone linking to any other site as a reminder but I prefer discussions build here as obviously we want to enjoy this community. So for anyone not in the know here is that other discussion.

It's interesting to hear ITR actually has a muffler and I guess Newmar used to install it and stopped? What is the difference in what ITR offers for the muffler and what the one Vickie is suggesting?

@FLSteve can you provide links to the parts you used or what is recommended, pricing if you want to include, and any tips for someone new like myself or others that want to go about this? i.e. Do this then that, steps to do this properly and any other improvements such as raising the pipe etc?

Thanks

The good thing is based on my camping plans I go where no others go :( I am interested in adding the muffler too, I read the thread over there. I have no problems with anyone linking to any other site as a reminder but I prefer discussions build here as obviously we want to enjoy this community. So for anyone not in the know here is that other discussion.

It's interesting to hear ITR actually has a muffler and I guess Newmar used to install it and stopped? What is the difference in what ITR offers for the muffler and what the one Vickie is suggesting?

@FLSteve can you provide links to the parts you used or what is recommended, pricing if you want to include, and any tips for someone new like myself or others that want to go about this? i.e. Do this then that, steps to do this properly and any other improvements such as raising the pipe etc?

Thanks

@Neal … thanks for the clarification on other site links. I wasn't sure if that was ok to do that or not. I did post my part list in posting #3 on this thread. Muffler was only about $22. The clamps were almost as much.

FLSteve

Did you just cut the pipe with a hacksaw?

I'll re-read that thread for parts and any tips on doing the job but if you want to outline any steps, parts, links, etc. here for others to learn from feel free.

@FLSteve so there is welding required? I've never welded before. I see MIG welders aren't that expensive on Amazon and something I've wanted to learn. Curious if that is required or not.

@FLSteve so there is welding required? I've never welded before. I see MIG welders aren't that expensive on Amazon and something I've wanted to learn. Curious if that is required or not.

@Neal … I used one of these saws to cut the pipe with a hacksaw blade in it. I know that Vickie 4369 did weld his but he is in the muffler business I think. All the other examples seemed to use clamps. I used the wrap around clamps and they are very secure. You do need to cut some slots in the muffler ends so the clamps can compress it around the exhaust tubing that slips inside. I cut four (4) about the length of the clamp width in an "X" pattern.

Please note … this was my 1st exhaust work and I am just repeating what I gleamed from others that did this MOD.

FLSteve

Saw.jpgVPE-1163_SN_xl.jpg
IMG_4110.jpg

Thanks. Do you have a link to that saw?

I have the Makita version of that saw and find it very handy for cutting anything from steel tubing to tree branches. Just swap out the blade and go to work on whatever you need to cut! And, it is quite friendly to arthritic old hands, too.

I'm thinking seriously of making this mod. While the Oasis exhaust is not objectionable...to me...it is louder than I would like it to be.

TJ

It's still not the lowest item under there. Pictures make it look worse than it really is. Mine came running straight back and then out under the wet bay but I wanted to install a sewer tube back there so moved the Oasis exhaust forward.

@Neal … I measured (at ride height) from the ground up to the bottom of the muffler and it is a tad over 10". I measured some other items under the coach like the front frame members and they look to be around 9.5" so I think I am high enough. It's also kind of behind the front drivers side wheel so that would hit anything on the road first. Just a FYI.

FLSteve

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back