• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Diesel pusher making occasional "ch" sound while traveling

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I called Equalizer Leveling Systems and Freightliner today and they were not helpful.
I called Newmar and got a lady who offered to contact Freightliner with me on the line.
I wasn't excited about that suggestion because I had already called Freightliner and was told to look up the nearest service center.
We were finally connected to a man who seems to be extremely knowledgeable about the airbags. He offered reasonable explanations for the things we were experiencing, and tactfully suggested that our problem was operator error. He also mentioned, if we still needed service after trying his recommendations, which service centers might be easier to get into ...not quite so heavily trafficked by commercial trucks.
We are due to move on Sunday, and we will try his suggested procedures. If we are successful I'll post information about that.

Agree with the above, every 15-25 seconds is not normal.

What do your air gauges read when the sound occurs? Does the psi increase or decrease after the “ch”? This my help isolate an issue.
normal

Operator error? How can that be when those systems should be basically automatic?

We were told by the Freightliner tech that the engine should be running and pressure normalized BEFORE raising the jacks, for proper inflation. We were raising the jacks before we even turned on the engine.
'We'll try this Sunday. He was pretty credible - outlining to us how all 3 of our concerns could be related to this.

That sounds a lot like the purge valve on your air dryer caused by the air governor used to do way back when I was driving big trucks. Do you have an air dryer in your system? You should with air brakes.

We were told by the Freightliner tech that the engine should be running and pressure normalized BEFORE raising the jacks, for proper inflation. We were raising the jacks before we even turned on the engine.
'We'll try this Sunday. He was pretty credible - outlining to us how all 3 of our concerns could be related to this.
Hmmm, while that’s good advice to always have your engine running for jacks and slide ops, it’s a bit misleading when it comes to “air purging” and jacks. I don’t know what rig you’ve got, but my guess is your jacks are hydraulic, so airing up is irrelevant in that reference.
The purpose of having your engine running is to support the electrical system. In our case, with a coach that’s based on air-bag leveling, then yes, we need to make sure we are aired up to achieve “Travel mode”.

Captain Gizmo is right and I came across this post while searching my problem Equalizer:
Thread 'Starting the engine before raising the jacks'
Tip - Starting the engine before raising the jacks

In short Freightliner suggests doing this as it is faster to fill the bags.

That sounds a lot like the purge valve on your air dryer caused by the air governor used to do way back when I was driving big trucks. Do you have an air dryer in your system? You should with air brakes.
😳 uhhhh

We're planning on having some maintenance done later this fall.

The compressor compresses the air (obviously....) and in doing so it can and will condense moisture in cooler fittings due to the air being heated by compression. The purge sound is the signal from the air governor that it is satisfied pressure wise and the purge is to rid the system of moisture. They look like this: Amazon.com : air governor

1661964292610.png

Latest resources

Back