• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Diesel vs Gas

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
FWIW - I tried my 2019 Tiffin gasser for a Tiffin 2017 Red with the ISB 6.7 engine. Comparing costs for service between the two, very little difference for normal service. But, if something in the engine goes south, bit if a different story. Best to stay on top of maintenance schedule. Having had the DP, would never go back.

We do long weekends with our gasser. We can pull a toad but normally don't need or want to. I am familiar with the dated Ford drivetrain and can maintain/repair ALL of it myself. (Rebuilt the transmission last year.) Gas is hovering almost a dollar cheaper a gallon than diesel and pulling a toad with out 38 footer I have measured up to 9 mpg. Compare miles per dollar and that's not far off a diesel. It's noisy pulling hills and mountains for sure, but cruising flatlands it's as quiet as our cars.

Now were I moving into an RV and planning to cross country back and forth towing, lots of long distance stuff, I'd be shopping for a diesel pusher. I could long distance what I have but feel I would be better served by a diesel. The east coast mountains are no comparison to the western ones.

If they put turbos on some gassers like they ALWAYS do on diesels the performance gap between them would be a LOT narrower.

I’ve been told by several mechanics that if you don’t run Diesel engines at least a hundred miles at a time at least once a week, the engine starts having issues.
I woiuld guess that 99.99 percent of diesel motorhomes don't travel 100 miles per week so you would be hearing of lots of engine problems with diesel motorhomes. I'm on several different diesel motorhome forums and very rare to see a post about diesel engine problems.

I’ve been told by several mechanics that if you don’t run Diesel engines at least a hundred miles at a time at least once a week, the engine starts having issues.
Wouldn't that mean that thousands of snow-birds would have "issues" every year? Most set still for a few months at a time. Most owners we know don't even run the slides in let alone unhook and take a spin every week.
Ken

I think diesel or gas depends on how much you want to spend and how large/heavy the motorhome is. If I was looking at Class A around 30 feet a gas coach would be acceptable but as the length and weight increase, diesel makes more sense. When I was looking I was looking for around 40 feet with a toad and being able to fuel up in the truck lanes was important for me so gas was off the table. I also drove both a diesel Discovery and gas Bounder on a very windy day on I10 outside Tucson and the way the wind affected the Bounder sold me a diesel pusher.

Hi Dakota: I see you are new here. Just do a search on Gas vs Diesel and it will bring hundreds of threads and posts about the two in comparison.

There are 5 things a Gas coach will NEVER compare to a Diesel coach period.

1. Air bags compared to standard suspension. Unless you maybe cough up an extra 23K for Liquid Springs for a gas coach front and back and then you may be close to ride comparison.
2. Air Brakes compared to regular brakes, never mind the addition of an exhaust break. no comparison.
3. Towing capacity 10K compared to 5K with a gas coach. Never mind added total carrying capacity.
4, Pulling power torque, when you want to take the hills at a decent pace.
5. The quietness of the ride, a gas engine is up front under the doghouse, you step on it for grades you are going to hear it in spades.

Now there are disadvantages a diesel has, such as higher maintenance cost in oil changes. More expensive to repair when it needs parts and so on. But for those five reason above alone it is worth the extra cost to me. I am on my third coach. Has a Itasca 36G diesel pusher. Then had a 2019 Tiffin Open Road 32 SA for two years, gasser. Now on a 2021 Tffin Red 33AA DP. Not going back to gas.

HH

Don't assume a DP has a 10,000 tow. I have Newmar Ventana LE 4037 forty foot and a 5,000 pound towing and it has the Allison 3000 transmission.

If you want towing torque, diesel beats gasoline.
If towing capacity is a major decision driver, Super C with a diesel will provide higher tow ratings over diesel pushers, up to 40k, depending on configuration.

The receiver capacity plays a part in tow limits a well. Not all receivers are built to handle the same amount of weight. Towing limits and recommendations CAN include more than just chassis and HP.

The receiver capacity plays a part in tow limits a well. Not all receivers are built to handle the same amount of weight. Towing limits and recommendations CAN include more than just chassis and HP.
That is what the dealer told me about my Ventana LE 5000-pound towing capacity so they order a new 10,000-pound hitch the same one on the Dutch Star and when it arrived the tech noticed that it had the same part number as the one installed. A quick call to Newmar and they verified it was the same hitch used on the Dutch Star.
I was also told that just as long as I stay under the GCWR I could exceed the 5000-pound towing capacity and phone call to Newmar nix that. The Newer tech said that was an internet rumor.

Latest resources

Back