RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Georgetown 31L5
RV Length
35'
Fulltimer
No
Hi ... Diesel vs Gas ?? Besides better gas mileage and being quieter in the front while driving are there any other advantages to a diesel pusher ?

More torque with a diesel
Diesel pusher also allows the generator to be put up front away from the bedroom in the rear.
Generator can run on the same diesel fuel tank.
Can have Oasis or AquaHot heating, using the same diesel fuel tank.

More CCC I believe and towing capacity due to more hp and torque and chassis/braking etc.

Distance to empty and tank size greater if that matters.

More torque with a diesel
Diesel pusher also allows the generator to be put up front away from the bedroom in the rear.
Generator can run on the same diesel fuel tank.
Can have Oasis or AquaHot heating, using the same diesel fuel tank.
Is there more maintenance with one or the other ?
Comparing MPG cost wise, what's the approx percentage more of ? Not based on todays world but based on a more stable world.

I’ve been told by several mechanics that if you don’t run Diesel engines at least a hundred miles at a time at least once a week, the engine starts having issues.

You're going to hear a lot of myths about Diesel engines on forums. Best to stick with the opinions of those who own diesel RVs.

As to maintenance, I change the oil on my Diesel pusher once a year. I take it to a truck service shop where the cost is $300 for an oil change on RV's be they gas or diesel.

I do generator service as needed which works out to about every other year. Cost, $200.

And that's about it for maintenance.

Something else to think about is service.

My #1 issue when I was buying an RV was where can it be serviced. Almost any truck place will service a Cummins engine on a Freightliner chassis.

I don’t know about rumors. Our au pair worked as a mechanic in Switzerland for five years before coming here for a year. More than half of the vehicles she worked on were diesel.

I don’t know about rumors. Our au pair worked as a mechanic in Switzerland for five years before coming here for a year. More than half of the vehicles she worked on were diesel.
Could be that in the foreign countries I have visited they have far more diesels than gas vehicles.

I’ve been told by several mechanics that if you don’t run Diesel engines at least a hundred miles at a time at least once a week, the engine starts having issues.
That's nonsense.

Latest resources

Back