Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Discount Tires Error ... Any Recourse ???

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

thinkntravel

RVF Newbee
In 2019, went to a Denver Discount Tires and asked them to replace the Goodyear OEM G tires on my 40' Cedar Creek 36CKTS ... about 18,000 lbs GVWR. They said they carried the tires ... installed them ... I paid the bill. Mind you, I don't know a "trailer tire" from a hot fudge sundae ... presumed they installed the right tires. Went back to that same store today to see if I should replace these tires. The Assistant Manager told me "truck tires" were installed on my rig ... not "trailer tires." Does this matter? What should I ask them to do about this mistake? Has this caused any damage to my 5er? Advice appreciated!

No harm done! Truck tires have more aggressive tread! I believe there is a difference in tax structure!

Trailer tires are constructed differently to allow for more side-ways force. Truck tires do not have the same construction.
Trailer tires also tend to sit more, which is factored in.
Not sure where the reputable articles were that I read about this years ago.
Using truck tires usually won’t hurt the trailer, they just won’t last as long.

No problem, as long as they aren't China bombs

Well if you didn't had any problems in the 5 years they've been on the trailer, it's a moot point now since you're going to replace them anyway.

In 2019, went to a Denver Discount Tires and asked them to replace the Goodyear OEM G tires on my 40' Cedar Creek 36CKTS ... about 18,000 lbs GVWR. They said they carried the tires ... installed them ... I paid the bill. Mind you, I don't know a "trailer tire" from a hot fudge sundae ... presumed they installed the right tires. Went back to that same store today to see if I should replace these tires. The Assistant Manager told me "truck tires" were installed on my rig ... not "trailer tires." Does this matter? What should I ask them to do about this mistake? Has this caused any damage to my 5er? Advice appreciated!
I think the fact that you have had them for 5 years lets you know there is no problem with them. These tires are made for specific loading depending on vehicle type but in many cases as you have seen will function in other applications. I would still always recommend the right tire for the application.

Latest resources

Back