Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
If you don't have one, I suggest carrying one. I've been on at least two occasions now where it's come in handy. Cummins service where they allowed me to connect to 15A 110V power and recently I was at a facility where campgrounds nearby were closed and they allowed me to stay there for the week, the 15A connection was a life saver as it was sufficient to keep charged and power the furnace fans with diesel heat doing its job (OASIS).

I carry a 50 to 15:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HRHWHNW/?tag=rvf01-20

If you have a 30A coach here is a 30 to 15:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUU5YA/?tag=rvf01-20

My last location I needed a better extension cord, my typical orange 50 footer wasn't working, needs to be a heavier gauge so I suggest also getting one of these if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B42RLVF/?tag=rvf01-20

We carry one of the same 50A-to-15A dog bone adapters, but have gone a different direction with extension cords. We carry one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024ECIP0/?tag=rvf01-20

This lets us extend our 50A service farther and, if needed, and we can use the dog bone adapter with it if we need it. The heavier gauge wire on the 50A extension cord helps minimize line loss when plugged into a 15A/20A outlet with the dog bone adapter.

We do also carry an extension cord similar to the one @Neal linked to for use with our 120V air compressor and other appliances.

TJ

Last edited:
I just carry a couple of small plug adapters. One 50 to 30 and another 30 to 15 that I can plug into each other. Same result.

Yup...carry both 30-to-50 and 15-to-50 adapters.

Safe travels.

I too carry the 50-to-30 & 50-to-15 adapters.
Also a 20 amp 100' and a 15 amp 50' extension cord.

As a side note, while in Virginia, I used the 100' to keep the coach plugged in, and surprisingly it would allow the front A/C, fridge, & lights to work at the same time. This would pull 17-18 amps! Only did it a couple of times.

In the new house, I have a 50 amp plug in the rear of the garage, and also one on the wall at the front. This allows me to keep it plugged in, inside or outside!

I carry both 30-to-50 and 15-to-50 adapters. I also have a 50 amp (6 AWG) extension cord that is 50' long. I typically use it when parked at home, and only carry it with me if I think I'm going to need it, which so far I've been fortunate. Once I used the 50' reel cord, a 50-30 dog bone, and a 14 AWG extension cord. I had the EMS set to 10 or 15 amps for single phase. While I prefer not using so many extension cords and adapters, it worked and I did monitor the power usage and the temperature of the 14 AWG extension cord.

I carry a 50 to 30 and then a 30 to 15. I've had to use both adapters.

I believe so. I know I own one. Have to check to see if it is in the MH. Thanks for reminding me.

Yes I do...BUT, I have a question for the group. I have NOT carried a surge protector and (because of this site) think it's probably a good idea. So I would buy a 50 amp model for use in an RV park...but if I was (say) visiting my children and plugging into their house (maybe 20 or 30 amp breaker), would I use a 50 amp surge protector? Doesn't seem so, but electricity is NOT an area of knowledge for me. Basically, I'm an electrical doofus!

Latest resources

Back