Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Need help with a 50 Amp distribution panel.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Haplo_X

RVF Newbee
So the quick and gritty is I acquired a 06, 27' Jayco Jayflight for free and it was a hot mess inside so I gutted it down to nothing but metal and frame. I bought a WFCO 8955(50 amp) distribution panel, lithium battery. I have already installed the AC and I'm now at the point of doing the DC. I have experience with AC electrical just not DC. So I'm basically here to find out what I need to hook up the DC side of everything. This Trailer will be hooked up to shore power all the time so the 12v side is just running lights, water heater, range hood, etc.

I was told I could run the distribution panel/converter without a battery but I will be installing a battery as I've been told by multiple people you can burn up the converter fast by doing that so I bought a small lithium battery(lifepo4)

I'm basically wondering what I need, I've searched youtube and web pages I could find but most all the videos are about Van builds or just testing or hooking these up but there's no discussion of wire sizes, or anything like that and the diagrams I found are confusing.

Right now I have the 50 Amp service wire coming in and connected to the 50 amp breaker, a bare copper ground wire running from the AC ground bar to the ground bar I attached to the chassis of the trailer.

My distribution panel is set at eye level(6') and my battery will be setup below it about 3'-5' from the distribution panel so I'm wondering what size wires to run from the battery to the panel?
Do I need a ground wire from the DC ground bar to the chassis? If so what size?
Do I need a ground wire from the battery ground to the chassis?
What wire size should I use for the 12v? I've seen everyone recommend from 14g-10g

If anyone knows of a video or a good tutorial and can point me in the right direction, I'm all for it. This is the last thing that's stopping me from hooking up the water heater and finally finishing my shower and having lights that aren't from a lamp! lol

I could just say 6 awg and leave it at that, but this site has what you need!!!

Latest resources

Back