Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Do you ever turn off your inverter?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Now...for those who like to cut the batteries with a Cole-He, I’d suggest you consider something first. Some items, such as the trans, ECM, Dash, and radio, need to see a 24/7 source of 12v power in order to maintain their memory. For a trans, this would mean dumping the “driving pattern” that’s developed over time. Is that worth it? For me, and others, no.
WHAT! I'm still lurking, whats up with that?
Sorry @CaptainGizmo I have to react to this statement. Even a $2.00 Arduino board has flash memory now days. There are routines in their e prom memory that allow for clearing the flash but without the routine being activated with code sequence the memory is typically good for 10 years or more. This memory is not a chip on the board but rather built into most all single chip computers. The data books on these chips will confirm these statements.

That being said it would be a disservice to not chime in here. It takes much more and a deliberate effort to clear the settings talked about in this quote. Disconnecting the battery is not an option to clear the computer.

Those that disconnect the house battery are not disconnecting the chassis battery, in most cases, because they want to start the engine regularly for proper maintenance. My guess is that if I had a $500,000 rig I would hire someone to start the thing for a while every month if I had no way to do it. That said if you are not concerned about monthly starting you could just let it sit for extended times while visiting let's say the EU. Of course that would depend on your ability to get there.

My 24v system never turns off. This is my inverter system. My inverter keeps the fridge going, and the 12v system topped off. The inverters used in the Newmar RV is the same system used in an Off Grid house that has solar, there are other equal systems as well. As I believe @Neal stated it is actually better for electronics to stay on according to government studies that produced a trouble shooting book in the 90's? 80's. I had such a book and it gave failure rates for different components. Unmaintained (charged capacitors) were on the top of that list for failure. What that implies is that a system that is never turned off will likely outlive one that the owner is trying to save by turning it off.

Oh one more thing, A question, Has anyone on this list had to have their inverter replaced if it was a factory installed Newmar inverter?

Haven't turned mine off since getting it in June 2017 except to do electrical work such as installing a cutoff switch that Newmar did not install and there is no way to kill the Inverter connection without disconnecting from the battery (i.e. electrical fire). That's a different subject, installing a disconnect/cutoff switch, but for me inverter remains on. Now if I didn't have powered storage, I'd be in a different situation and likely have to turn it off but then I added solar for this scenario. I originally was in storage in an open lot so I installed solar so I could keep the refer on. I'm giving up my powered storage space for a long trip ahead, no need in wasting all that money so when I return I may be back to solar with gen backup for battery charge. I just don't want to unload my frig, mainly my freezer, but we'll see. For long term storage I'd be fine with it, but for me I use mine at least once a month typically and want to minimize the sheer pain of onloading/offloading a RV. Clothes, pet, office, is beyond painful as it is.

@Kevin D Pem
“WHAT! I'm still lurking, whats up with that?”
Lurking is good.
We stored our coach for about 6 months before deciding to go full time. No power available, covered storage, turned off inverter and both house and chassis batteries. I would go and start coach revelry 7-10 days.
Now that we FT no need to worry and inverter is on continuously.

Oh one more thing, A question, Has anyone on this list had to have their inverter replaced if it was a factory installed Newmar inverter?
Mine never made it home from the FPU before it died.

It is a shame that manufacturers don't inspect and burn in all units. But we wouldn't want the price if they did. I remember that burned in computer boards were offered some years ago, for a good reason.

@Kevin D Pem ,
I’m not sure what you meant by replying to my post and “lurking”? Maybe you accidentally responded to me. I’m confused.

I’m also not sure what “statement” you are saying you need to respond to.

Whatever. I think that maybe I wasn’t articulate enough. Guys like @Dutch Star Don and I have discussed this before about cutting THE CHASSIS batteries killing memory.

As for killing the inverter and house batteries, I see nothing wrong with that.

hope that clears up at least my “statement”?

@Kevin D Pem ,
I’m not sure what you meant by replying to my post and “lurking”? Maybe you accidentally responded to me. I’m confused.

I’m also not sure what “statement” you are saying you need to respond to.

Whatever. I think that maybe I wasn’t articulate enough. Guys like @Dutch Star Don and I have discussed this before about cutting THE CHASSIS batteries killing memory.

As for killing the inverter and house batteries, I see nothing wrong with that.

hope that clears up at least my “statement”?
The Lurking comment was about me, not you. As far as the reset on disconnecting the chassis battery, Unless the manufacturer is using early 1990 chip sets no loss of data will happen with the loss of a battery. It has been a long time ago that you could reset the computer information via no power.

The Lurking comment was about me, not you. As far as the reset on disconnecting the chassis battery, Unless the manufacturer is using early 1990 chip sets no loss of data will happen with the loss of a battery. It has been a long time ago that you could reset the computer information via no power.
Got it. And a “good to know” regarding “permanent” memory chips

Latest resources

Back