Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Do you ever turn off your inverter?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It is my understanding that refrigerators don't do well being shut down for long periods. Compressor seals dry out and leak.

I think it is better to let them run in their normal cycles. At least, that's what we do. We put 3-4 jugs of water inside just to provide some thermal mass and prevent frequent cycling.

TJ
I’ve heard the same...although it WAS from a “repairman”. ?

It is my understanding that refrigerators don't do well being shut down for long periods. Compressor seals dry out and leak.

I think it is better to let them run in their normal cycles. At least, that's what we do. We put 3-4 jugs of water inside just to provide some thermal mass and prevent frequent cycling.

TJ
Here’s a GE recommendation for short and long term refrigerator storage. From everything I read there is no discussion about seal damage. I would bet that some new ones sit for many months in storage before use.

Take a look at the back of your fridge. Motor is built into compressor models and no moving parts on propane units, with exception of doors and controls. If we begin talking about electronics, rare on AC units, Capacitors have a failure rate that might take down a control board. Capacitors would require a verrry long storage cycle to be much of a problem.

Storing food in an unattended propane fridge I would not recommend, to much bad history, I use 115VAC fridges now in my RV.

Doesn't the inverter also charge the batteries? Or is there a separate charger in the DP's"

The only time the Inverter is turned off is when the RV is in storage. "Sales man" switch does not turn off the inverter in my RV due to solar power wiring. Otherwise always on.

When in long term storage (> 30 days) I turn off everything. With the batteries disconnected the inverter is then off. I have a trickle charger on the batteries.

For less than 30 days I leave batteries connected as we leave items in the RV (fridge and pantry) so it takes less time to get on the road.

I also turn the inverter off when the coach is in storage.

For those of us who empty the reefer, there’s really not much other reason to keep an inverter running and generating heat...or worse.

if you’re one who needs to maintain electronics such as security and wifi, this will mean switching those sources to 12v.

The challenge on newer coaches, is that there are a lot of items that are parked on 110v, just constantly running and creating heat; like routers, networks, compressors, and water pumps. Yes, I 110v air compressors and water pumps.

Pretty hard, if even possible, to go around an kill all those sources. So, dropping the inverter makes the best solution from my POV.

Now...for those who like to cut the CHASSIS batteries with a Cole-Hersee, I’d suggest you consider something first. Some items, such as the trans, ECM, Dash, and radio, need to see a 24/7 source of 12v power in order to maintain their memory. For a trans, this would mean dumping the “driving pattern” that’s developed over time. Is that worth it? For me, and others, no.

HTH

Last edited:
I guess every situation is different. I looked at the manual for my inverter. It is an inverter/charger, so, since the rig is outside all winter, it is not possible to shut it off and use an external charger (two chargers - one for the house and one for the chassis).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back