• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Do you lock your coach/basement when parked

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am able to store mine garaged at home but when traveling it's locked any time I leave it...it's not so much about what could be stolen, it's about who could still be in my rig when I return, we live in a different world with huge drug abuse and mental issues that eventually come with that issue....and I agree with what Jim & Trish said "But wow Jerry, that yard!"

Not locked at home, it's across the driveway about 75'-80' from the kitchen window. However, the house is down a driveway about 800' off the country road we live on, & very little traffic. A thief will still be a thief!
But, all locked when traveling!

I always lock everything.

Even though we are living in it, we push the door lock button every night (which locks all the basement doors) really nice feature having electric locks on basement.

Oh the irony...today I go to wash my coach before putting it in storage as I just returned from a short several day round trip to Gaffney (FL) and back and it will be two months before next use. My 50ft pressure washer hose is missing from the driver's side slideout bay. Not something you misplace, not something you leave on a CG and forget to put back. I have not used it since before leaving for my 7 month journey last September. I don't remember when I last saw it as I'm rarely on that side of the slideout. My guess is one of two scenarios: 1) Coach was out of my hands for a week while at Cummins in shady part of Tucson, 2) My lawn crew that may be who took $15 in quarters from the center console of my toad a week ago. I am pretty good about keeping things locked up but there are times such as walking the dog that I may leave it unlocked. I don't want strike 3 to be a stolen dog so I've had my wake up call, I hope this is one for you. Especially now in times of struggle for many things may walk more frequently than the past. Lock it up even when you're in it (i.e. basements).

Oh the irony...today I go to wash my coach before putting it in storage as I just returned from a short several day round trip to Gaffney (FL) and back and it will be two months before next use. My 50ft pressure washer hose is missing from the driver's side slideout bay. Not something you misplace, not something you leave on a CG and forget to put back. I have not used it since before leaving for my 7 month journey last September. I don't remember when I last saw it as I'm rarely on that side of the slideout. My guess is one of two scenarios: 1) Coach was out of my hands for a week while at Cummins in shady part of Tucson, 2) My lawn crew that may be who took $15 in quarters from the center console of my toad a week ago. I am pretty good about keeping things locked up but there are times such as walking the dog that I may leave it unlocked. I don't want strike 3 to be a stolen dog so I've had my wake up call, I hope this is one for you. Especially now in times of struggle for many things may walk more frequently than the past. Lock it up even when you're in it (i.e. basements).

Sadly @Neal I have to now agree with you. So many people in dire need out there in these sad times. There has also been a flood of inmates released because of the COVID 19 fear. I’m not saying these are the people responsible for the uptick in theft but I’ve decided to be extra vigilant as it’s going to get even tougher for many to survive.

I lock everything up. Although depending on the park, I may leave coach unlocked to walk the dogs. Weird times. I'll be locking up all the time now.

When we leave, yes. If we’re at the coach, no. At night, usually not. My wife sleeps so lightly that she can hear my dreams. She would definitely hear a bay door being opened or closed.

Ours are always unlocked, unless we are camping by ourselves without friends nearby, and we leave the campsite.

This morning upon taking the RV to storage and opening the left rear storage bay to store the tow bar cables I stumbled upon something, 50 foot in length, resembling a pressure washer hose. I obviously moved it and forgot I did so. Now I'm pondering whether or not I want to confess. For now I'm going to keep this to myself.

Latest resources

Back