• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Dometic hot water tank failure

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Looks like you ordered one...I happen to have one that's almost brand new (owner replaced for "on demand" system). If you are near the Central Coast of California (long shot I know šŸ˜‰) I would sell it to you for a very good price. Otherwise, best of travels friend. Blessings
Thank you for the offer sir. I found one on Amazon. Price was right for new. Much less than dealer near by. Dealer quote was over $1000. Three weeks to get it to Texas from them. Amazon delivery this Friday.

I hope this isnā€™t a regular replacement need. Very disappointed to only see two years service in this one. Iā€™ll be looking at the passive system next time.

Thank you!
Henry

2 years on an aluminum tank? Something is wrong with that picture......Please show pics of the punctured tank.

I have had fittings loosen over time while driving. There are some screw fittings, have you verified the leak is not a fitting? Just a thought.

2 years on an aluminum tank? Something is wrong with that picture......Please show pics of the punctured tank.
Iā€™ll be pulling the old tank Friday when the new replacement arrives. Definitely will be providing pics.

I have had fittings loosen over time while driving. There are some screw fittings, have you verified the leak is not a fitting? Just a thought.
All indications at this point is the tank leaking where it rests on a thin wall petition cut out. Iā€™ll have a better look at that point when itā€™s removed. Pics Iā€™ll share.

The new replacement Dometic hot water tank has been successfully installed. Working great!

This was clearly a tank stress crack as the pictures show. Note the rubbing scar caused by the narrow petition resting spot. Iā€™ve added blocking to expand the resting surface and secured the tank with a nylon strap. Hoping not to have this issue again.

Iā€™ve also reached out to my dealer. Theyā€™re submitting this for a warranty claim.

Henry

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpeg
    IMG_1378.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1381.jpeg
    IMG_1381.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1383.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1377.jpeg
    IMG_1377.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Glad you made a successful repair. You had the correct diagnosis.

Wow, that thing must have taken one hell of a wallop. Learn something new or see something new all the time.

Wow, that thing must have taken one hell of a wallop. Learn something new or see something new all the time.
This wasnā€™t a failure occurring from a one time, ā€œwallop.ā€ Itā€™s been over time and many miles placed on our trailer. Since our purchase new, weā€™ve been traveling over many rough roads across the country. As Iā€™ve mentioned, this was caused by design. Over time and mileage the failure is likely to occur. How many others have experienced this I ask??

Thank you for all replies.
Henry

Latest resources

Back