• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Don't Linger At Fuel Pumps!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Go up to them and be educational and explain the etiquette of truck stop fueling. Explain how it is our goal as RVers to not tie up the pump lanes any longer than needed. Explain that you should fuel up first and move forward to the yellow line or even better, go park in the larger parking area to tidy up as needed. A friendly conversation can go a long way and help people understand what we're all expecting and how trucker's need to get in and out of their as they have limited duty days.
Your point is well made, @Neal, but we’ve become a bit circumspect about trying to “educate” people that appear to lack societal awareness and common sense. Their reaction is sometimes pretty unpredictable and we’d prefer to just find another pump and let the next big-rig driver “educate” them. It will probably be a more effective “teaching moment” than this ol’ dinosaur could muster.

It doesn’t take a genius to understand that fueling lanes are for...well, you know...fueling. Anyone who fails to grasp that simple fact is probably not a candidate for a PhD in truck-stop etiquette anyway. :ROFLMAO:

YMMV

TJ

Many of us learn through online communities and social networking. Many also do not participate in any of the above and get an RV and don't have the opportunity to learn from others as we do. Yes, it would be a very fine line to attempt to talk to someone. If not receptive, back away immediately. It all depends on how you approach them. Compliment their RV, be friendly, then follow with "hey, you moron...did you know..." :)

One of the reasons I like Costco (gas) is although it is self serve, they have an attendant. The attendant's job is to make sure everyone stays on point ? You pay upfront (card) and there's not a nearby restaurant to tarry in. I've not encountered the situations above. If I did, I would concur that Neal's approach would be best...IF I could only pull it off!

I’m one of those who can’t seem to stop “trying” to help by opening my mouth. Doesn’t always pay off, for sure, and I have my wife as a constant reminder to just “let it go!”

But, I haven’t seen anyone use the comments I would use, in this case...which would be:

“Excuse me, Sir, I’d suggest you get your rig fueled ASAP and save the work for somewhere else. The next person you hold up will probably be a Trucker who’s not earning money while he waits behind you. I have a feeling, that’s not gonna be as nice of a conversation, as well as making another enemy for the rest of us RV-ers to deal with.”

Of course, these days, this is a crap shoot...but hey...I’m stubborn.

I’m one of those who can’t seem to stop “trying” to help by opening my mouth. Doesn’t always pay off, for sure, and I have my wife as a constant reminder to just “let it go!”

But, I haven’t seen anyone use the comments I would use, in this case...which would be:

“Excuse me, Sir, I’d suggest you get your rig fueled ASAP and save the work for somewhere else. The next person you hold up will probably be a Trucker who’s not earning money while he waits behind you. I have a feeling, that’s not gonna be as nice of a conversation, as well as making another enemy for the rest of us RV-ers to deal with.”

Of course, these days, this is a crap shoot...but hey...I’m stubborn.
Or, “Hi...nice coach. Are you aware that you are blocking the fueling lane? Oh, never mind, here comes ‘Bubba the Trucker’ and he’s packing a tire thumper. See ya’ down the road” :ROFLMAO:

TJ

Or, “Hi...nice coach. Are you aware that you are blocking the fueling lane? Oh, never mind, here comes ‘Bubba the Trucker’ and he’s packing a tire thumper. See ya’ down the road” :ROFLMAO:

TJ
EXACTLY! And as I walked by the trucker, I’d say...”I tried to tell him, but he said ‘screw the truckers!’”
Then break out the popcorn. ?

Neal does have a point. I have to remember, I have been around truckstops since my teen years. However, some truckers now, are just as bad. I was in a very busy truckstop. We were lined up on the road waiting to enter. It to 10-15 minutes to make my way around the back of the small Pilot to the scale. The trucker ahead of me pulled forward, but not enough for me to get by. So I waited, and waited. Then he comes out with his hands full of bags. He had been shopping.

Ok, I only know what I saw. It is possible that another truck could have been ahead of him, before I pulled up. Some of the truck stops now have a regular announcement, over the PA, asking drivers to pull up after fueling. This is the progressive degradation of human society.

But it is true. People are not even taught to be considerate of others anymore.

Thank God for my wife. She frequently reminds me that the world does not revolve around me. What a disappointing thought.?

What really gets me is pulling into a truck stop with loads of empty car parking spaces, to find tiny cars and pickup trucks parked in the Bus and RV lane and I have to park illegally.

I finally, did take Neal's approach with a professional logistics van guy. He acknoleged that he never thought about larger vehicles. However, he did not move. ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!! Humans!! What are we going to do with them?:cool:

Last edited:
I'd certainly try to be nice to a fellow RVer but per the above, I've been held up quite a few times by trucks pulled forward at the yellow line and have gone in for shopping or whatever. I've sat there plenty of times waiting on them to get out of the way but me putting in on average of 50 gals is probably not the typical truck fill up that's behind them. It goes both ways. All we can do is do OUR best. I'll take time to do my windshield too when needed, I know that's a little more delay, but at times it has to be done. I've never run into a trucker or anyone behind me getting antsy, I do respect the situation and move out as fast as I can. I typically have to get the dog out to do her business, I typically don't pull forward to the yellow line for that but go find a parking place.

I admit I had a screw up coming out west this year. I was at a pretty busy and tight truck stop, a Love's I think. Parking was slim and I pulled into a reserved spot to get Elli a quick walk. Elli has developed a situation where she won't go in public places it seems so it takes forever to get her to do her business, if she will even do it. She's also hypersensitive to all the noises and distractions which doesn't help. Sure enough they were looking for me and when I returned I thought I was still good to go so I was going to make a quick lunch when a knock at my door occurred. Nice gentleman educated me I was in a reserved slot and a truck was waiting, need to pay for these spaces, etc. I apologized. He told me on the other side was a place for RV's and a dog run. I just left, it wasn't a good day, so be it. So be cognizant of the reserved spaces too when you intend to park for a little longer than a quick stop such as a dog walk or lunch break. This was not the typical truck stop, it was grand central station and a cluster mess.

Neal does have a point. I have to remember, I have been around truckstops since my teen years. However, some truckers now, are just as bad. I was in a very busy truckstop. We were lined up on the road waiting to enter. It to 10-15 minutes to make my way around the back of the small Pilot to the scale. The trucker ahead of me pulled forward, but not enough for me to get by. So I waited, and waited. Then he comes out with his hands full of bags. He had been shopping.

Ok, I only know what I saw. It is possible that another truck could have been ahead of him, before I pulled up. Some of the truck stops now have a regular announcement, over the PA, asking drivers to pull up after fueling. This is the progressive degradation of human society.

But it is true. People are not even taught to be considerate of others anymore.

Thank God for my wife. She frequently reminds me that the world does not revolve around me. What a disappointing thought.?

What really gets me is pulling into a truck stop with loads of empty car parking spaces, to find tiny cars and pickup trucks parked in the Bus and RV lane and I have to park illegally.

I finally, did take Neal's approach with a professional logistics van guy. He acknoleged that he never thought about larger vehicles. However, he did not move. ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!! Humans!! What are we going to do with them?:cool:
Brings to mind the old saying, “people are no darned good!” :rolleyes:

TJ

Attitude is everything

Latest resources

Back