Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
When we are traveling we always utilize the commercial truck lanes at truck stops. As everyone knows who frequents these fuel lanes, commercial driver's and RVers, you fuel and then pull up to the line so the next person can pull up and start to fuel. Generally speaking over the years I have had very little issues fueling at all the major truck stops. Commercial truckers are never a problem.

This week when coming across the gulf coast I pulled into a busy TA. I pulled behind a Tiffin Red thinking he was done fueling but just hadn't pulled up yet. He was standing behind his toad messing around with some straps on bicycles hanging on the back of his toad. Since the fuel nozzle wasn't sticking in his coach I assumed he was finished and just waiting for the customer in front of him to pull off.

After several minutes I got out to stretch. To my shock there wasn't any vehicle in front of him. He kept messing with the bicycles for another few minutes. I walked up to him and asked if he was about finished. He said he hadn't started fueling yet and went back to playing around with the bicycle straps.

I probably shouldn't post what I wanted to say to this jerk. I simply got back in my truck thinking how lucky I was now that I can actually back up. I was able to move back about 30 feet and go to another pump. Needless to say when I was pulling out after fueling this nut job was still fueling. This was one of the worse cases of a rude RVer I had probably ever witnessed. I suspect if he continues doing that in commercial diesel lanes some trucker will point out the error of his ways.

When we are traveling we always utilize the commercial truck lanes at truck stops. As everyone knows who frequents these fuel lanes, commercial driver's and RVers, you fuel and then pull up to the line so the next person can pull up and start to fuel. Generally speaking over the years I have had very little issues fueling at all the major truck stops. Commercial truckers are never a problem.

This week when coming across the gulf coast I pulled into a busy TA. I pulled behind a Tiffin Red thinking he was done fueling but just hadn't pulled up yet. He was standing behind his toad messing around with some straps on bicycles hanging on the back of his toad. Since the fuel nozzle wasn't sticking in his coach I assumed he was finished and just waiting for the customer in front of him to pull off.

After several minutes I got out to stretch. To my shock there wasn't any vehicle in front of him. He kept messing with the bicycles for another few minutes. I walked up to him and asked if he was about finished. He said he hadn't started fueling yet and went back to playing around with the bicycle straps.

I probably shouldn't post what I wanted to say to this jerk. I simply got back in my truck thinking how lucky I was now that I can actually back up. I was able to move back about 30 feet and go to another pump. Needless to say when I was pulling out after fueling this nut job was still fueling. This was one of the worse cases of a rude RVer I had probably ever witnessed. I suspect if he continues doing that in commercial diesel lanes some trucker will point out the error of his ways.
Some people just seem to live in a world of their own! Common courtesy should tell you that fuel lanes are for fueling. Who knew? I am afraid I would have suggested that he clear the fuel lane until he was ready to actually fuel his RV. And, I suspect my approach would have been quite a bit more polite than that of a commercial trucker waiting to fuel his rig. That’s what air horns are for!

TJ

I've had this happen to me before, not in my RV but at a busy convenience store. The guy had finished getting his fuel and then walked in to pay. At least that's what I thought he was doing. He was in there forever and when he came out he had a handful of lottery tickets. He sat in his car and started scratching. I couldn't believe this guy but then he got out of the car and started to walk back to the store.

I was livid and I yelled "Hey, how about moving your d**n car so the rest of us can use the pump?" And he did, but it was clear that he didn't get it and thought I was the one that was out of line. I don't know what's happened to people anymore, they just don't think about anyone but themselves.

TJ, there were probably several things I could have said to him. He certainly needed a tongue lashing on some level.

I had a situation like yours Jim a couple years ago at a Shell Station down in Ft Myers. I pulled in to gas up my motorcycle and had to wait for a free pump. When I finally got to one I noticed a white work van was just sitting empty blocking a pump. Finally when I was almost done the driver came out with a drink and sandwich, got behind the wheel and began eating his lunch. It took me another couple of minutes to get ready to go and I couldn't believe the jerk just sat there eating while several cars were waiting! I leaned past the pump and asked him if he was broke down. He just looked at me and shook his head no. A rather large individual pumping gas on the pump in front of me had been watching the whole thing. He stopped pumping and walked over to the guys window and basically yelled at him that if he didn't move immediately he would need transport to the nearest medical facility. The lunch eater tossed his sandwich in the seat and took off.

It ended up being fun to watch.

We pulled up to the RV lane at a Pilot several years ago. The guy getting fuel in front of us was driving a large commercial pickup. When he finished he went inside and didn't come out.

Finally I went in and found a manager, we looked around for him, he was in the restaurant having lunch. The manager asked him to go outside and move his truck, he was completely oblivious that he was blocking a pump.

Can't say anything here!!! I can already feel my blood pressure rising.

We pulled up to the RV lane at a Pilot several years ago

I had so many bad experiences in those RV lanes in the beginning I swore them off. Pro tip: Don’t go anywhere near the dump station when someone in an obvious rental RV is getting ready to pull the trigger.

so all this time that we’ve been pulling into fuel pumps and using it as an impromptu rest stop where we fuel up, make a nice lunch and take a power nap - that was not okay?

Kinda like when I pull in to get fuel at a C-store and they only have diesel at the end pumps and the cars seem to prefer those to the other open gas only pumps...........

Folks, I think we all miss what would really work in this situation. He/She may be a new RVer as we all once were. I remember to this day pulling into my first truck stop (TA) at night. It was unnerving with all the noise and hustle. Go up to them and be educational and explain the etiquette of truck stop fueling. Explain how it is our goal as RVers to not tie up the pump lanes any longer than needed. Explain that you should fuel up first and move forward to the yellow line or even better, go park in the larger parking area to tidy up as needed. A friendly conversation can go a long way and help people understand what we're all expecting and how trucker's need to get in and out of there as they have limited duty days. We are all quick to hate and short to educate and be kind. And don't forget to tell them about RVForums.com :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back