Chassis
Spartan K2
Engine
Cummins ISL9
TOW/TOAD
2023 GMC Sierra
Fulltimer
Yes
Wasn’t sure wether to post new thread or where are you with your Newmar. Friday we had one of those days traveling from Pine Bluff, WY to Kaycee, WY with the winds for most of the route forecast 20-30 with gusts 40+. Decided we would give it ago with plenty of rest stops on the way if it got too bad. First issue was the slide topper cover on the driver’s side kept opening over the bracket designed to prevent this should the magnets not be sufficient. Had to keep stopping (at least 6 times) start generator, open slide a few inches and close. This has been an issue before and some have added additional brackets at front/back of topper cover but I had never experienced this in over 50k miles so I hadn’t added any except on the kitchen slide. I’ll be ordering 2 from Newmar parts on Monday😳

Next, TPMS goes off and I pull off side of I-25 as there was plenty of room before looking at why the warning. I get stopped and I’m showing 80psi on the LR of the toad so I get pressure gauge and cautiously check with 36psi . Reinstall the sensor and by the time I get back in driver’s seat it shows up correctly on TPMS😡. My heart didn’t need all that excitement.

We finally get to our planned stop Kaycee RV Park, only coach there. Paid the 35 dollars cash and told there was 3 pull thrus with the water turned on and since our next stop was a Harvest Host I decided water was required. It had been raining all day, very little gravel in the park but most sites looked good. Well I chose the wrong one, looked good until all of the sudden the left front started sliding left and sinking, I immediately stopped. When I got out and saw (pic below) I thought great way to end this day. We decided to disconnect the toad and attempt to back out the same way I had gone in. Drive axles appeared to be on solid ground and if the front would just stay in the ruts I had just made maybe we would make it🤞which we did. Ended up in Buffalo, WY in a different park 45 miles north with plenty of gravel and beer.

I do not recommend Kaycee RV Park even in good weather, it was quite run down. We are glad all ended well and just chalking it up as part of the adventure.

048DCAF3-C6BA-4D4C-8675-84E06B62C914.jpeg

Wow, no need for that in our RVing. I got stuck at a CG once for not walking the grass area after it rained and allowed the CG owner to guide me in, backing up to the spot. I had to call coach-net which is now why I swear by them and renew at 3 year terms, which I just renewed. I had to be towed out of the ruts, glad you didn't need them.

Most importantly, thank you for sharing this so others can learn from them. Not everyone wants to share their bad experiences or even mistakes but it helps others to avoid them, so thank you. Glad you didn't need a tow, sounds like you handled this the exact right way. Yowza!

I’m trying to keep up with your travel adventures @Neal 😀

I’m trying to keep up with your travel adventures @Neal 😀
You seem to be going down that path...very very concerned! One more incident and we'll stage an intervention. We know what to look for (read my prior posts).

Not a bad day, more of an adventure. The topper was annoying but didn't get torn up or ripped off the coach. The TPMS was merely a glitch. Cherry on top was that you were able to back out of that mud. Luck was with you there. That you felt the issue and stopped barely in time certainly helped. My take from the picture is that you were borderline calling for a tow, that wheel is sunken pretty good.
It was a good day. The topper is still attached and in good shape, no actual tire problems, and you can brag about how you got out of a fairly nasty mud situation with no help at all.
My Newmar popped its transmission on the interstate last fall, dead in the water. After it was towed home I happened to think about all the ways it could have been ever so much worse. No place to pull over, in the mountains, people hurt, crashed into while broken, towed by a careless extortionist, etc, all things that could very easily have happened had things gone slightly differently. Actual disaster was avoided on all fronts and it was just a mechanical problem and inconvenience. After mulling it over I was actually in a good mood about it, believe it or not.

All’s well that ends well. As soon as I read the word “beer”, I knew you were okay.

I may have buried mine in a field at an Ohio fairground a couple of years ago. That was the day I learned (much to my amazement) that a Jeep Cherokee can unstuck a 40,000 lb dumbass.

Do you have the Girard toppers?

Last edited:
Serious bummer day @NWIP. Glad all are safe & w/beer. We have also had the 40+ wind slide topper cover problem many times and each time I swear I’ll get another guard or two and then promptly forget. You might contact Girard as they might supply them for a good price compared to Newmar. They might also have new idea’s about how to stop the problem. Let us know if you find a good solution.

@NWIP Just had the topper cover wind issue on our last trip. I had to get out and tywrap the cover closed to prevent it from opening and banging around in the wind. Then had to cut the tywraps to open the slide once we got to the campground that evening. You might call your Newmar customer service rep and explain the cover flap in the wind issue. They definitely know about the problem and in my case they provided the additional anti billow brackets at no cost to me. The Newmar price for the bracket with the bumper pad is ~ $35 each.

All’s well that ends well. As soon as I read the word “beer”, I knew you were okay.

I may have buried mine in a field at an Ohio fairground a couple of years ago. That was the day I learned (much to my amazement) that a Jeep Cherokee can unstuck a 40,000 lb dumbass.

Do you have the Girard toppers?
Yes Girard toppers

@NWIP Just had the topper cover wind issue on our last trip. I had to get out and tywrap the cover closed to prevent it from opening and banging around in the wind. Then had to cut the tywraps to open the slide once we got to the campground that evening. You might call your Newmar customer service rep and explain the cover flap in the wind issue. They definitely know about the problem and in my case they provided the additional anti billow brackets at no cost to me. The Newmar price for the bracket with the bumper pad is ~ $35 each.
Ouch I picked up 2 at the Newmar parts store about 3 years ago for about $10 each

Latest resources

Back