• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Driving Safety in a Motorhome

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
On the subject of safe driving I have an observation. We just spent three days driving from Texas to Florida. Dense fog every morning and one day with fog & rain all day. My observation is there were many cars with headlights on but no tail lights on driving in the foggy conditions. I suspect this is due to the use of the "auto on" light function in the vehicles. My guess is the drivers figure their lights are set to come on automatically so good to go. However in the foggy conditions it apparently is/was light enough that the "driving lights" are on but the auto on feature is not turning the lights on, thus no taillights.. Sooooo my suggestion is if it's foggy turn your lights on manually vs relying on the auto on function.

Great thread. And I didn't know you piloted an A-10, wow.

Has anyone put on the parking brake while driving to experience it? I have not and someone asked me if the salesman did it when I was test driving a Ventana before purchasing. Apparently it’s something worth trying, not sure.

When we test drove a new Tiffin RED, the salesperson had me pull the airbrake after warning my wife and I to hold on tightly. We were in the large parking lot at the Hershey show, that they had set up for test drives. We were probably going about 10 mph, definitely less than 15. The coach instantly stopped. I was pretty surprised. I remember him saying that if we pulled the brake at any speed, all wheels would lock and we would be just skidding to a stop. I remember it was pretty jarring.

One of the greatest differences I've noted between driving my coach and driving my cars is the speed at which you find yourself somewhere you don't want to be. Neil alluded to it in his post. It takes a fraction of a second to look up or around and utter those famous words, "Oh sh**". I LOVE driving my coach, but I can't say I find it relaxing. It demands more alertness and situational awareness than anything I've ever driven. At the end of the day's travel, I'm usually well ready for a beer, burger, and bed.

One of the greatest differences I've noted between driving my coach and driving my cars is the speed at which you find yourself somewhere you don't want to be. Neil alluded to it in his post. It takes a fraction of a second to look up or around and utter those famous words, "Oh sh**". I LOVE driving my coach, but I can't say I find it relaxing. It demands more alertness and situational awareness than anything I've ever driven. At the end of the day's travel, I'm usually well ready for a beer, burger, and bed.
Exactly! Driving a 20-ton beast requires a lot of concentration and, at the end of the day, I'm ready for a good rest. That's why we limit our drive time to 8 hours or less...combined seat time. I'm fortunate to have a fully qualified co-driver aboard and we support each other's driving from the "second seat." A pair of 2-hour driving shifts each per day is plenty for us.

TJ

I used to be an over the road trucker years ago, and I owed a fleet of trucks. I have found that you need to look at the event horizon. This changes constantly, when approaching a hill it will be very short, when topping the hill it will be very long. Look to the event horizon, your eye will catch the things that are important to you, brake lights, signs, animals, etc. You'll find that you automatically stay in your lane and have great situational awareness.
Do this when approaching narrow lanes, bridges and construction lanes. Look where you want to go, not at the hazard you are trying to avoid. This will avoid target fixation, you will hit what you are looking at.
Safe driving.

Good thread to remind me of the importance of staying focused.
When we bought our coach (used) there were multiple check lists given to us. The check list for departure has an interesting item that my Bride and I have discussed during our travels many times; Is the driver rested and in a good emotional state? This has stuck with me and is now part of my routine the day before leaving - to be sure I have reduced stressors as much as possible and any emotional distractions.
Generally I find driving our rig relaxing and enjoy driving it more than our daily driver MB SUV. However, it does require focus and removal of distractions. My phone is setup as GPS using the RV Life app, but I do NOT look at any notifications. If traffic is lite around me I may glance at the ETA and how many miles until the next turn. But if there are any cars around me I never look at the GPS and instead will ask my Bride who is the navigator.
What Orrin shared about looking way down the road helped me immensely when we first started this adventure.
We stop every couple hours for a stretch break and also to walk the 2 labs.
Our 2 labs travel on a bed between the 2 front seats (super c). This keeps them low and close to us. In case of a quick stop or accident they can only move a few inches as they are usually up against the console already. If they need any attention while driving, my Bride takes care of it.
So lucky to have her in my life.
Stay safe out there.

Love reading this thread.

Great site, great thread!

We're pretty new to the RV life, about one year into it and loving it. My rule of thumb has been to drive 65 mph or 5-10 mph below the posted speed limit, whichever is lower (if the speed limit is 55, I drive 45-50 mph). What does everyone else do? Am I overly cautious on the interstates doing 65 where the posted speed limit is 75?

I typically drive a few below the speed limit, and don’t typically exceed 65.

Driving much slower than the traffic flow puts others in danger trying to get around you. Go with the flow and it will be much calmer around you and you will be in a less stressful situation.

Latest resources

Back