• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Drones

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
yes, I had gotten prior approval the day before!)
Not being a drone flier...at least, not yet...I was interested in your comment regarding "prior approval." What are the legal and moral guidelines for "prior approval" or permission that drone fliers should follow? I do understand not flying in areas where there is a potential to interfere with regular aviation. What else needs to be considered?

TJ

In my case, I wasn't sure if the campground was Federally or Personally operated and maintained. So I found the man in charge and simply asked him if it was OK. He said not to fly over people's sites and not to bother anyone. I stayed out over the water and I stayed within the other rules that I'm aware of. I use an app called B4U Fly, and it will tell you if your in a legal area or not. Other things to consider are to not fly higher than 400' and to always keep your drone in view.

Maybe someone else with additional info will chime in?

Last edited:
Tips or suggestions would be great!
Make sure the battery is clicked in completely.? I use a battery strap now on my Spark after a wee crash. I was in Montana on Tom Miner's Road (good grizzly viewing) near Emigrant up about a 100 feet getting ready to cross the ravine to view 2 grizzlies and then I saw something drop (aaaargh, my battery) and a second later, down came my drone. I thought for sure it was a goner. I climbed a fence and started wading through the sage brush and miraculously found my drone absent a battery. My victory photo:

ED8E1AFF-9E86-4DF1-9939-81427DEAEC20.jpeg

Wow, lucky to have found it!
Great tip?

I am grounded for next week...?

Attachments

• EFCA8C5C-7A9D-408A-A822-87335CD4A421.png
    EFCA8C5C-7A9D-408A-A822-87335CD4A421.png
    804.3 KB · Views: 25
I'm grounded here too :( Wonder how well I can play stupid?

I also have Mavic mini as well, now they have released the Mini2, 4K camera, and maybe other stuff. It's windy here a lot, so don't get to fly much, the 2.8 Camera is fine for what I do. Lots of very good instruction videos on YouTube. Channels are Drone Valley, but search for Mavic Mini, and bunch of channels will come up. Happy Flying.

I have a drone as well for several years, but haven’t flown it much in a while. Remember the need to be registered with the FAA and they will give you a “tail #”. There use to be on line classes as well, but it’s been a while.

The software in the drone would prevent flying over 400ft “unless overridden and prior approval of the FAA”. And your not suppose to fly out of site by law unless prior approval by FAA.

It’s a lot of fun, just be safe.

Well I also bought a cheap drone to start. My guess is it will wander off or I will crash within 6 months. But for <$100 it will give me the skill needed to avoid issues with a more expensive drone like the DJI mini 2. Not going to mention the drone brand as it is a very cheap chinese knockoff, really cheap. But the cost of experience.
I guess I could get a DJI and Drone Insurance to replace a crashed drone.

Latest resources

Back