Drones

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Like Neal said...as well as these points about GPS:

1. Yes, I've darned near lost my drone while flying AT THE VERY EDGE OF RADIO COVERAGE! It was the worst scenario; over 2 miles away, over mountains, low battery, and at dusk! I, like Neal, in a state of panic mind you...realized that my COMPASS HAD LOST CALIBRATION!!! So, I had to use a technique of flying at right angles until I could tell which direction I was flying, then fly straight toward me and pray I didn't run out of battery.

2. When flying in remote locations; having a "lost known GPS COORD" won't really help you if you don't have communications (cellular) with your drone in order to locate it on a map.

3. If you DO lose it...can you GET TO IT? If over bad terrain...goner. If over water...goner. If downed in a hostile (aka theft) market...goner.

Still, I loved flying mine and got some awesome shots.

OH, and another point: emergency scenes are a HUGE no-no!!! I can't believe how many times PD or FD authorities have to broadcast statements to keep drones out of the area. Our last wildfires were PLAGUES with IDIOTS flying among firefighting planes, jets, and helicopters. Another time, a drone was chased away from a SHOOTER LOCKDOWN at a school. Stupid people. In these cases, I think "Open Season" should be declared on those drones!

The new DJI drones have much farther range. I think they are using WiFi radios now? Not sure. My Mavic 2 Pro has a 5 miles range. I think my DJI Phantom was 1 mile. I don't plan to test the 5 mile range but I've seen youtubers that have.

The obstacle avoidance in the Mavic 2 is amazing. The mini doesn't have it and I really have never needed it until recently. Tested my stupidity as I was heading towards the coach, hit full reverse and didn't see the tree I was heading towards. The Mavic stopped itself. I swear this progressing A.G.E. syndrome is getting the best of me!

I recently got the FPV Goggles by DJI. Only used them once but it was interesting! Plan to explore more with them.

I want to look directly into the eyes of a bear, from 4 miles away!

Sorry! I didn't mean to touch a nerve with my attempt at humor. It was poorly done. My apologies. I would never be so irresponsible as to shoot down anyone's drone. :mad:

TJ

Sorry! I didn't mean to touch a nerve with my attempt at humor. It was poorly done. My apologies. I would never be so irresponsible as to shoot down anyone's drone. :mad:

TJ

It was taken as humor. I know you wouldn’t. I was just sharing a story where I heard someone did. It’s probably more common than we think. People don’t like drones.

I know of police departments that use these during active shooters and other scenarios. My son is responsible for flying the one his department uses.

I have now flown my drone in my family room and screened in porch. I may set it free tomorrow!

Awesome! Lots of fun!!

Just purchased my first Drone. Learning how to fly. What experience do others have with them? Tips or suggestions would be great!

Mine is the DJI Mavic Mini.
Hey CoreyinWP. Mine is a Autel X-Star Premimum which I've only had for about 6 months, give or take... Still learning. Here is a short video of my house that I shot a couple of weeks after getting it. House 1.wmv

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back