DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
I have an upcoming date with the mothership to address a few items. One of those is my droopy wipers. I’ve been trying to figure out how I missed this at my FPU. I went back to look at pics from FPU and low and behold, they weren’t droopy.

Newmar is going to fix by replacing the wiper arms. Not a cheap fix by any means. So, my question is, what’s to keep this from happening again? What is the root cause? Anyone know?
IMG_2079.jpeg
IMG_1334.jpeg

Definitely looks like the passenger side is bent more at the factory bend. Also looks like the angle where it attaches to the motor is different than the other. I'd try to gently bend them up a little.

Occasional re-torque at 70 ft/lbs is the answer to prevent future failures. The correct installation procedure is to torque them thusly, then re-torque 24 hours later (or something close to that), to fully “seat” them.

I can easily imagine them performing the initial torquing during the build, and then the wipers never being thought of again, much less seeing a torque wrench. The issue is that the post is grade 8 steel and splined, and the arm is just tapered aluminum, so a “squish fit” is supposed to do the job.

And it pretty much does, but I’ve had mine fail (in a rain storm) and had to retorque them. I really don’t think replacement is necessary unless they are completely wallerred out (which is unlikely), but if Newmar is going to buy you some new arms, why not?

I carry a spare drivers side arm just in case. IIRC it was around $130. Mine are a bit close to each other, and I should probably reposition them a bit, but they work so I’m disinclined to mess with them. But I’d say given your pics, my driver’s side is positioned too low.

Last edited:
Yep, need to be retorqued even if not used. I do mine 2-3 times a year. More if used a lot.

Wiper arm fluid low.

Newmar considers these one time use for some reason. They are a high torque value. On install they are torqued to whatever the spec, then you wait 30 minutes, torque again. If it were me, and per above, remove/re-align and just re-torque them but I personally have never needed to re-torque, then again I've been on a windshield a year program which always requires new arms per above. Maybe ask Newmar for the exact torque spec, it's pretty high from what I recall, around 75 ft-lbs seems right from what I remember.

To update a bit…My wiper arms were replaced at the mothership in early November. I quizzed my tech about their procedure, and he said the right things. 70 ft/lbs and retorque after 24 hr.

Today I got out my new torque wrench and thought I’d check them out. I was astounded at how “Not 70 ft/lbs” they were. I got nearly a full turn on each wiper. I have a quality torque wrench, so the wrench isn’t the issue. Sheesh. Wow. Golly gee.

Your ears must have been burning as I arrived today and noticed one drooping even more after using them in the rain. I wondered how yours were. I'm going to be repositioning the one that is lower than I prefer and do the torque procedure.

Interesting you were told 24 hours later. I've heard torque, wait 30 mins, torque again.

Sounds like we need to retorque maybe annually or twice a year.

@Neemer do you remember the socket size so I don't have to fish for the right socket?

Latest resources

Back