Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi memoriesbythemile. I have asked Neal to delete the thread. I didn’t realize that a vehicle fuel type could be such a political and hate filled topic. It will just be a moderators nightmare. Maybe a few years from now.

Cheers
Only you guys call it hate filled. You spout nonsense and call it hate when called on it. That is what the political left is doing daily in this country. So far there is no real world benefit to going EV unless you don't drive much and for short distances. Your cherry picked travels are propaganda. I would love it if the whole thing were true, but I have been alive to long to be fooled by fake science. I don't mind if Neal deletes it. I will do the same thing the next time one of you post nonsense.

I recall reading about a company that wanted to go all electric in their plant and fleet. They told the town how much power they needed and the town responded, "are you nuts". It was more power then the whole town consumed. There was no way to provide the megawatts needed. That is the cold reality facing the EV crowd but they keep spewing lies. Just call me a hater when I bring it down to math and reality.

EVs are pretty much a fading fad in the U.S. Despite all the hype, false positives, and even requiring them in some areas, we have realized that the technology and infrastructure do not exist. Multiple long trips and towing excursions have been made to “prove” the viability of an EV. Almost all have failed miserably.
Some urban commuters may find that buying an electric car for twice the cost of a comparable IC commuter car, then keeping it charged with fossil fuel is a win for the environment. Most people with a shred of common sense can’t see the logic in that decision.
And I agree, that when points such as the ones that I have expressed are made in a discussion about EVs, the pro-EV crowd calls me and others haters and climate change deniers.
Here’s the best way to settle this. If you want an electric vehicle, then go buy one. If not, then keep your efficient IC vehicle.

emerging black and white GIF

Several reported posts in this thread, I read it in its entirety, yes, some slants leaning towards politics, some are disrespectful so I'm going to just say, no politics or hints of it, and be kind and respectful to others. I'm not deleting anything at this time, I realize the EV topic is hot and has opinions and it's new and some of us aren't open to change, some want to be on cutting edge and give something new a try, no matter what it's here, it's probably here to stay, it may be the way of the future, who knows, but it's fine to discuss and debate. But be friendly as if you're sitting around a campfire not throwing nuclear hot marshmallows at each other please! Let's have fun together which is why we come here.

So warning to those that need it above. If you can't reply with respect then please, do not reply to this thread and move on and help others or ask questions, the purpose of this community.

Thank you all.

Thank you for not supporting cancel culture which is what the "ahem" other side does when they don't like something.

IMO - having electric powertrains gives us more options for the future. Is this a mature powertrain? Not yet.
This is still early days and the car manufacturers are not used to thinking about the energy supply side of their vehicles. They poured billions into building capabilities to make the cars without thinking about how people will charge and use them. Oops!
Once they realized this major obstacle they are now, in the US, jumping to adopt a single plug so they can leverage the largest US charging infrastructure.
I also think we have a long way to go on battery technology, battery recycling and managing our resources.
We also need to improve on tire technology and its polluting impact, for both ICE and electric vehicles.
We need ways to extend the life of any manufactured object, so much of our culture is replace instead of repair. I recall when we had TV repair shops, now we toss “broken” TVs into landfills and buy a new TV.
Maybe I am too old fashioned, but I recall and like the “ole” days when we could fix and repair things, reducing waste, conserving costs, and learning something new.
I also like progress and realize the hardest parts of many “projects” is a complete end to end requirements gathering and properly executed change management.
Even though I believe electric propulsion is a viable and important choice for transportation, in the US we have not done a good job either on understanding or addressing the end to end life cycle nor have we understood the change management needed for this technology change.

Last edited:
IMO - having electric powertrains gives us more options for the future. Is this a mature powertrain, not yet.
This is still early days and the car manufacturers are not used to thinking about the energy supply side of their vehicles. They poured billions into building capabilities to make the cars without thinking about how people will charge and use them. Oops!
Once they realized this major obstacle they are now, in the US, jumping to adopt a single plug so they can leverage the largest US charging infrastructure.
I also think we have a long way to go on battery technology, battery recycling and managing our resources.
We also need to improve on tire technology and its polluting impact, for both ICE and electric vehicles.
We need ways to extend the life of any manufactured object, so much of our culture is replace instead of repair. I recall when we had TV repair shops, now we toss “broken” TVs into landfills and buy a new TV.
Maybe I am too old fashioned, but I recall and like the “ole” days when we could fix and repair things, reducing waste, conserving costs, and learning something new.
I also like progress and realize the hardest parts of many “projects” is a complete end to end requirements gathering and properly executed change management.
Even though I believe electric propulsion is a viable and important choice for transportation, in the US we have not done a good job either on understanding or addressing the end to end life cycle nor have we understood the change management needed for this technology change.
Re: The last paragraph....Has ANY NATION understood or addressed the, "end to end life cycle"??
My opinion is NO.....None have actually, nor appropriately addressed, the issue.
It is at this point, all about being a BIG MONEYMAKER for a SELECT FEW, across the WORLD!
ICE for me....No EV:cool: Plus I'm too dang OLD to ever really live to see the difference!;)

Change does not happen from the top down like you would have. It takes a gov we don't want to have that power. When a product is logical, better, and serves the needs it is designed for, it doesn't need to be pushed by agenda's. Electrical motors have been around for over 100 years and the benefits of them have been known for all that time. But energy density and portability have not changed enough to make them portable(they work great in stationary applications). New batteries are amazing, but not on the scale needed for reliable transportation. And we do not produce enough electricity and can't deliver it quickly, where its needed. Unless many are forced(monetarily or no availability)to not drive, and that is what some of us see as the underlying ultimate goal. They are already talking(local news)about rolling black outs in the Tennessee Valley next summer. And that is without plugging in electric cars. Give it another 100 years, maybe. And build a bunch of Nuke plants.

The electric powertrain is better right now, but that dang electricity/battery thing is in the way.

Think through the eyes of inventors, innovators...you have to try, and fail, and try again, and fail again, and keep trying and then you succeed. If people don't try these ideas we simply will never know. It's another option. Yes, I don't understand why we don't have nuclear power plants all over the country, as a pilot I'm seeing more solar farms than ever in places I never imagined. Harnessing the free power of the sun, well, obviously at the expense of harvesting materials (solar panels, etc.) is probably a good move.

We need to let the inventors and innovators do their thing, try, and we'll all see what happens. Maybe not, it could be beyond our lifetimes but someone needs to be thinking far downrange instead of our shortsighted short lives where quite frankly we need to be worrying about where we're going to enjoy tomorrow and make that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back