• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Electrical problem

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Replaced the batteries, copper bars and cables. I did install AGMs. Got so tired of the corrosion the flooded lead acid batteries caused. Used 1/4 inch thick copper bars instead of the 1/8 or 3/16. You can see in the pic how much corrosion ate away the old bar. Also used 4/0 cables instead of 2/0 and 3/0. The old cables had 3 to 6 inches of corrosion under the insulation.
I would strongly recommend using welding cables instead of battery cables.
Welding cables are made up with thinner strands making them more flexible. It's not too noticeable unless it is on the long wires going from the batteries to the coach.
First time in a long time the batteries showed having over 14 volts.
This was a two day job due to cleaning the battery tray.
Going to call Magnum today to change inverter/charger from lead acid to AGM.

Attachments

• 20210713_172023.jpg
    20210713_172023.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210714_195253.jpg
    20210714_195253.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Nice job @Webz. I'd love to see a dedicated write-up on this job including what you bought, where to get it from, etc. as others are soon to follow including self. I know @Chuggs recently replaced his, would love to get detailed stories of the job for others to learn from if you have time at some point.

Bought the batteries and cable at O'Reilly's. Got the terminal ends on Amazon.
Used dielectric grease on all connections including in the lugs prior to crimping.
Before I started, I put the wife in a hotel since we are full-time and it is hot here.
My biggest concern (worry) was damaging the inverter. Turned off every breaker I could find plus salesman switch, chassis batteries and unplugged from shore power. I did disconnect the positive cables first. It took longer to clean the battery tray and paint it than anything else. Originally I hadn't planned on replacing the long cables. Thought I could cut the ends off and replace the lugs. But the corrosion ran too far up the cables.
I'm so glad I took pictures but what also helped the most was numbering the old and new batteries. I put labels on each end of every cable that had the battery number as well as positive or negative. Then I did at drawing showing how many cables are on each terminal. This saved me. Thought I was finished until I looked at my drawing and saw one terminal was missing a cable. At first I didn't see any other terminal that was missing a cable. Looked at it a third time and found another terminal short one cable. Went through the old cables and found the one I missed making.
I guess the important thing is to take your time.
If anyone has any questions about what I did, I'll do my best to answer them.

Attachments

• Resized_20210714_200712.jpeg
    Resized_20210714_200712.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 10

Latest resources

Back