• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Engine problem???

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I was trying to think of a filter or something that they might have missed. I'm sure they got the obvious stuff. Surely they don't need to change out the throttle body? But then again I guess one of those injectors on the throttle body could be bad? Is it possible to take those injectors off and have them tested like you can on the other injectors? Make sure they are flowing the amount of fuel they are supposed to flow?
I think I will wait till they have checked the codes before I go to guessing.

Pam,
It sounds like they have done everything I would have suggested as far as removing the tank, cleaning it out. Changing out the fuel pump and filters. Make sure they flushed out the fuel lines as well and also make sure they removed that "sock" filter in the tank or installed a new one. There is also a "hidden" in-line fuel filter along the frame rail that gets missed a lot because it's not always there for some reason. It's small and is usually hidden by wiring harnesses or fuel lines and such. Get a flash light and look along the frame rail from the tank to the engine. You may find it. Since the engine ran pretty well for 70 miles and then started the "limp home mode" reduced power again, I think there is a filter somewhere that was missed. Maybe not but I can't imagine what else it could be.

PLEASE come back to let us know what the end result is. I'm dying to know.
So far still not fixed. Did not find an extra fuel filter. Now we are looking at the catalytic converter. The mechanics are not charging me for any of this. They have kept this thing in top condition for the past 3 years. So I’ll keep you updated once this is done. Hopefully Saturday.

Were there any codes in the computer? A 1996 should have a computer. You mention the catalytic converter........if it hasn't been changed since 1996 it *could* be the issue. It certainly won't hurt to swap it out. Do the Oxygen sensor on the tail pipe while you're at it. It's a cheap part and only takes a minute but may also help your engine run better. Let us know the solution. I can't wait to hear what it was!

Still no answers and I’m getting impatient. They are now sending the engine computer out for testing. I so want to get out of Indiana and this freezing weather!! I’ll keep ya posted

Pam,
It sounds like they have done everything I would have suggested as far as removing the tank, cleaning it out. Changing out the fuel pump and filters. Make sure they flushed out the fuel lines as well and also make sure they removed that "sock" filter in the tank or installed a new one. There is also a "hidden" in-line fuel filter along the frame rail that gets missed a lot because it's not always there for some reason. It's small and is usually hidden by wiring harnesses or fuel lines and such. Get a flash light and look along the frame rail from the tank to the engine. You may find it. Since the engine ran pretty well for 70 miles and then started the "limp home mode" reduced power again, I think there is a filter somewhere that was missed. Maybe not but I can't imagine what else it could be.

PLEASE come back to let us know what the end result is. I'm dying to know.
They are now testing out the engine computer. I just want to get to at least 50 degree temperatures lol

Hey @Pamschwindt I take it no codes. Codes would be there with fuel problems. No codes could be a faulty electrical connection. This is how this works:
The computer will not log a code, set the check engine light, or think there is a problem to report if the power goes off. The computer will think you turned the key off. Computerized cars are not that different from the old cars of yonder years. The mechanics are much the same, with the same reasoning behind them.

Fuel, air mixture, spark(ignition) electrical on gas compression on diesel. Any failure where a sensor is located and a code will be displayed. The only time this is not true is when the power is cut to the computer when the problem appears. So one more time, check the codes and let me know what they are. and a side note. a bad connection will get hot. as it gets hot you can get a disconnect at that location. An IR camera would assist with finding a bad connection if you have one or can borrow one. The flir camera for a phone is a great tool to own.
They are now checking engine computer. No codes. I’m keeping my fingers crossed

Latest resources

Back