Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Looking at pictures, I am trying to plan for the installation of the Autoformer in the power Cabinet of the DutchStar. They mostly look consistent between floor plans. Any installations out there that can help me plan??

unit_photo_202209280630138493264165.jpegunit_photo_202304150930262864521795.jpeg

My 2020 KountryStar looks like your bay minus the cord reel (jealous). It holds the transformer, but I have been trying to figure out how to add a power reel without going into any adjacent bays. Some careful measurements would be in order but your pic looks like it might lay on its side on top of your reel, but a lot of cabling to manage as its been built to go inline and has a few feet of power cord with connectors hanging off of it. Would you mind telling what brand cord reel you are showing in the pic??

If they are still building them the same way (and from the pics it looks as though they are), you really can’t put it in the same compartment as the reel. The back panel is a removable plastic cover over fuses, 12v breakers, and other electrical goodies, and you’ll want to leave it readily accessible. I just went out and removed mine for these pics. It’s secured with Velcro on two strips of wood. On the back of the plastic panel is the fuse location diagram.
0D3FFCE9-FFC3-43C2-9C1E-CD50BF5D7B25.jpeg
2BF86403-F4DC-4CAC-AC1D-5CE88078BF75.jpeg
53958C1C-D8B2-4FEC-89B3-2B6926295DD2.jpeg
D9E91E5A-3460-4BD6-9595-BFA0E1033179.jpeg
With my surge protector, related adapters, 50’ 12ga extension cord, and coax (which I never use), the compartment is fairly full. I have to keep my 35’ 50amp extension cord elsewhere.

Scott, this pic is my cord reel manufacturer sticker. Its a 35’. If I had ordered this unit new, I would have chosen a 50’. Usually if I’m short its not by much and hauling along my 35’ 50amp cord is a bit of a chore.
886456B7-B8E5-493D-8597-23495DBEF882.jpeg

Last edited:
Well I can only tell you that in my 2022 Dutch Star 4369 the answer is yes you can get the Autoformer in the electrical bay. HOWEVER in my case I had to move just about everything that Newmar had installed on the floor and sidewalls. I added a receptacle that allows me to put the Autoformer in line or remove from the line. I also installed a progressive Industries EMS-HW50C in the bay. (my transfer switch does not have the built in EMS option) I chose to install the EMS after the transfer switch which provides protection for both park power and the generator. To protect the shore line and transfer switch I use a Acron 19666 surge protector at the power pedestal. In addition to surge protection the Arcon does provide a visual via 4 LEDs of the electrical line condition however it only reports the condition it does not shut down if there is a fault. I did not hard mount the Autoformer. In my opinion there is no need since it just fits in the bay and cannot go anywhere. Also to Rich W's point without the Autformer hard mounted I can easily remove it if need be to get to the electrical equipment at the back of the bay. If you would like I could post some pic's in a few days once I get back to the coach.

Yes, pics please!

Well I can only tell you that in my 2022 Dutch Star 4369 the answer is yes you can get the Autoformer in the electrical bay. HOWEVER in my case I had to move just about everything that Newmar had installed on the floor and sidewalls. I added a receptacle that allows me to put the Autoformer in line or remove from the line. I also installed a progressive Industries EMS-HW50C in the bay. (my transfer switch does not have the built in EMS option) I chose to install the EMS after the transfer switch which provides protection for both park power and the generator. To protect the shore line and transfer switch I use a Acron 19666 surge protector at the power pedestal. In addition to surge protection the Arcon does provide a visual via 4 LEDs of the electrical line condition however it only reports the condition it does not shut down if there is a fault. I did not hard mount the Autoformer. In my opinion there is no need since it just fits in the bay and cannot go anywhere. Also to Rich W's point without the Autformer hard mounted I can easily remove it if need be to get to the electrical equipment at the back of the bay. If you would like I could post some pic's in a few days once I get back to the coach.
That would be the only way to do it. There is some wasted space there and rearranging everything would certainly make good use of it. Also the light could be mounted on the compartment ceiling and the coax connector could reside in the spare parts bin. I’d like to see pics of your set up as well.

Here’s a good related thread:

Thanks Rich W

Joe- if you look at that thread, you can see how I put my Autoformer and surge protector in the compartment behind my cable bay. Works great and does not crowd my bay.

Here are some Pic's of my 22 Dutch Star 4369 electrical bay with Autoformer. As mentioned in my earlier post I can put the Autorformer in line or not. Also due to the way I have the plugs & receptacles configured I could use a separate 50A cord to by-pass the cord reel if it were to go bad.

Attachments

• Electrical Bay.pdf
    393.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3443.JPG
    IMG_3443.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3446.JPG
    IMG_3446.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 12
Wow, lots of great information. Thank you all. This will be an interesting install. :)

Latest resources

Back