Newmar
RV Model
Bay Star
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2014 Ford Edge
Fulltimer
No
Planning a trip up the east coast and will be pulling my toad. I can purchase a UNI Transponder in Florida that is supposed to work in 18 states including all those we plan on going through. Do I need to purchase a transponder for both the motor home and the car, or is the car like a towed trailer and will only require one transponder?

Not sure there is one answer for all states, but if anyone has experience with this, would appreciate it since online info seems to be lacking.

Thanks!!!

First off are you planning to hit all the toll roads? I travel Fl and usually bypass them. Believe it or not it does not take that much time off your trip. The big reason is everyone uses the turnpike and there so crowed now. The times I do, I just stop and pay.

First off are you planning to hit all the toll roads? I travel Fl and usually bypass them. Believe it or not it does not take that much time off your trip. The big reason is everyone uses the turnpike and there so crowed now. The times I do, I just stop and pay.
I don't plan on hitting any more toll roads than are necessary. Most times will avoid them. But, if I need to get from A to B and the toll road gets in the way, I don't want to stop and pay cash tolls if not necessary. If you travel Florida much, you will know that they are removing most all cash booths and are billing by plate if you don't have a pass. The increased cost for bill by plate makes buying a transponder make sense. I assume it is the same up the east coast. Just trying to make life simpler.

Initially we used the Sunpass in Florida. We now use the E-Pass Xtra since it is honored in more states. The transponder processes the toll for both the coach and toad. We keep the old Sunpass in a protective case inside the toad. In the event we are driving just the toad in Florida we remove the transponder from the case to pay tolls.

Initially we used the Sunpass in Florida. We now use the E-Pass Xtra since it is honored in more states. The transponder processes the toll for both the coach and toad. We keep the old Sunpass in a protective case inside the toad. In the event we are driving just the toad in Florida we remove the transponder from the case to pay tolls.
That's what I assumed, but I talked to "customer service" for E-Pass (Uni)---(somewhere in India???) and they told me I needed to put one in both. That didn't seem right to me, so I thought I would ask. Have you actually used it this way in any state other than Florida?

We use E-Pass (Uni). The Pass is on the RV windshield covers the Tow dolly and auto in tow. The system is "Smart" enough to collect the Toll amount by Axle count. The Toll never misses an opportunity to charge you the requisite toll amount.

Travelling the North East it is "almost" a requirement as many bridge tolls are only electronic. Pay by Transponder or Plate (with admin addons). Toll Takers are a thing of the past.

EDIT: It is hard to keep up with all the name changes. The E-Pass/EZPass combo, previously referred to as E-Pass Xtra, is apparently now "Uni"

Last edited:
Signed up for the "E-Pass Xtra", and they sent a transponder for each vehicle, as well as one for the coach! When pulling the "toad", place the transponder in the foil packet provided, and store it in the console. That way there is not a double charge. And the nice thing is, that you can set it to automatically reload a designated dollar amount, from your credit card, when the balance gets below a certain amount of money.
I registered for it when living in Virginia, and found it works great in other states. I've since moved to Florida, and enjoy the ease of usage!

That's what I assumed, but I talked to "customer service" for E-Pass (Uni)---(somewhere in India???) and they told me I needed to put one in both. That didn't seem right to me, so I thought I would ask. Have you actually used it this way in any state other than Florida?
I have not but sounds like Jabber Jaw has.

Geez.... I've been using Florida's E-Pass and I've checked twice and have been told to keep the transponders in each vehicle. It records tolls on both but hope I'm not getting overcharged on the RV transponder....

Geez.... I've been using Florida's E-Pass and I've checked twice and have been told to keep the transponders in each vehicle. It records tolls on both but hope I'm not getting overcharged on the RV transponder....
In Florida tolls are assessed by number of axles. If you have a Tag on the Dutchstar you should be charged for three axles, and the tow only two (assuming a standard vehicle). Not sure if the toll is higher for Two vehicles with the appropriate number of axles, or if it is cheaper for a single vehicle with 5 axles?

Good question...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back