• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Failed state inspection

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@MapNerd, I told him I knew MapNerd. Didn't work, I ordered the parts :cautious:

In other news, here is how it went with reaching out to McGeorge's Camping World in Ashland, VA
  1. Called approximately 1 PM and asked for parts. Got transferred twice within parts. The person I spoke with asked for part numbers as they didn't have the schematic. They are a Newmar dealer! They said bring in the bulbs and they have plenty there I should be able to find a match. I said "marker light" and license plate light. You'd think these two were generic enough for them to identify what I would need.
  2. Called Newmar and got part numbers and ordered the parts. I really wanted to get this saga closed out before I leave tomorrow so I called McGeorge's back now having part numbers. The operator asked for my name/number as no one could take my call at this time.
  3. I called back 15 minutes later, this time I get connected to parts and then go to voicemail. I left my name, number, and part numbers. I have not heard back yet now approaching 9 PM, 8 hours later.
Second license plate light ordered from eTrailer, I couldn't figure out the marker light which is odd as you think they would know. I didn't call them, it can all wait until I get back now. I'm over it for now and enjoying the "target" rejection sticker on my windshield which I'd love to pull off but it's probably a felony to do so!

@Neal, when you fail a vehicle inspection, the proper reaction is to pull the mechanic to the side and ask him how much it will cost to “fix” the defects. The key is that when you get to the word fix, you need to simultaneously cough and double over, sliding a $100 into his shirt pocket.

On second thought, given the times we’re living in maybe forget the coughing part.
There are places where that will cost you double. There are towns (out for revenue)that have a zero tolerance for marker lights out. You can also get stopped on the interstate for such.

I had one go on my class C. I ordered several, since getting them from the dealer was like pulling teeth. Everyone was too lazy to find out the part number.

I am a hoarder, I like spares. I will probably get a few more from Newmar at some point.

After having that experience, I got all of the common part numbers from the Newmar parts dept when I did the FPU. Hearing folks talk about how bad the ceiling lights were, I bought a few spares of those and the gasket that goes around the power cord.

There are places where that will cost you double.
Obviously, I was kidding. $100 is nowhere near enough for a good old fashioned bribe.

@MapNerd, I told him I knew MapNerd. Didn't work, I ordered the parts :cautious:
Not surprising. Doesn’t work when I tell them I am MapNerd, either. I usually tell them I’m MapWife’s husband. That seems to get things cleared up quickly.

Last edited:
@Neal if your level of pain is high enough you can sometimes figure out the part number via Newpar or whatever the system is called these days. I was able to figure out the part numbers for our coach. In the end though Newmar was significantly cheaper and eTrailer didn’t even stock it.

I tried searching comnet with no luck. That system is so lacking it seems. I always have to call or email which works fine too.

@Neal, go out and pull the lights out. It's should be very simple. Got to any of the local auto parts stores and get said lights. Probably a few dollars at best.

I remember when we had state inspections here - what a sham.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back