• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Fall plans - how are yours going?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
How in world do we make the right decision? We’re still planning to make our trip to SD, just hoping a neighboring state doesn’t make us park it for the magical 14 days.

While not yet official it is looking like I'm going to cancel Glacier for this year. There are a number of reasons but safety is at the top, being single with a dog the last thing I need is covid. I won't make my final and formal decision until Aug 1st as much as I want to just cancel everything now, I'm going to continue to think this through. This is not what a 2300mi (one way) journey is supposed to be. I can ramble my thoughts for days here but just putting out there that it looks like I'm going to stay put and roam near home here in VA instead, although minimally for now. Keep safe everyone!

Serious bummer. As of now we are still on for Glacier/Flathead in late August.

Newmar canceled the Grand Circle caravan this Summer. Autumn is so iffy we made no registrations. We were planning to winter in Claremont Fl. With both of us at risk 2020 could easily become the travel year that wasn't. 2021 doesn't look great either.

The problem I have making any travel decisions is the fact the rules seem to change daily. We still have reservations in Ruidosa, Pagosa Springs, Ouray, Buena Vista and Breckenridge beginning July 22.

The challenge or rude awakening can be getting to where you want to go and arriving at your scheduled time. For me to be in Glacier Aug 15th I have no clue of the restrictions and all the states I need to pass through. Hit one land mine requiring a 14 day stay and I miss my reservation at the destination. It's not fun in the end so I'd rather just stay home right now. And as we all know it's an unknown balance of media, politics, and reality and not knowing when this is going to end or what could come out that's completely new next January. Deleting everything else I just typed, leaving it at that. Tough situation for all of us.

As I understand the quarantines, they don't require you to stay in a state for the length of the quarantine. You can pass through, but are not allowed to go out to eat or shop while you are there. You can still stop for fuel. And, you can overnight in an RV park. At least, that's how the 14-day quarantine imposed a while back in Montana worked. And, it has now been lifted.

Quarantines requiring travelers to stay in each state for the duration would shut down all interstate commerce in those states. Truckers can't stay 14 days in each state. It would take them three months to make a normal 5-day trip.

If you are traveling through several states, just be sure your coach is fully stocked with food so you don't need to go shopping.

TJ

In VA's case they targeted campgrounds requiring a min of 14 days for reservations. That is in the past but an example of how it worked here. Doesn't affect truckers, it was only CG's.

We certainly understand the concern about traveling during the pandemic and the resulting restrictions. If you decide not to come out west, @Neal, we will understand but will also be disappointed that we won't be able to visit in person in Polson. Our Ellie will certainly be disappointed in not meeting your Elli. ;)

Our plans are to leave Polson on July 20 and head back to Washington to take care of some things (doctor appointments, etc.). We plan to be back in Polson on August 25 and will stay through the end of September...unless, of course, pandemic restrictions arise that prevent us from doing so.

One positive sign is that our site is booked for rental use every day that we will be away; 37 days. According to the PMCR staff, bookings have been strong and there have been few cancellations. Over the 4th of July weekend, the resort was completely full; last-minute reservation requests could not be accommodated. We take that as a good sign.

And, right now, Lake County (where Polson is located) is still doing pretty well; just 22 confirmed cases since the pandemic began. A significant percentage of the people here are doing their best to social distance, wear masks, etc. If that helps, I'm all for it. Even if it just helps "a little bit," at least it does help. We'd rather be a part of the solution rather than a part of the problem.

TJ

I was a week late for my first reservation. Nothing I could do. Hosts were understanding, and worked with me the best they could. The risk is higher with any plans at the moment.

So far fall plans are unaltered, but I never stray far from home in the fall.

[
In VA's case they targeted campgrounds requiring a min of 14 days for reservations. That is in the past but an example of how it worked here. Doesn't affect truckers, it was only CG's.
That wasn't the case here in Montana when they had a 14 day quarantine. I have found it to be as TJ remarked. I found a place in Montana to hunker down for 2 months (really not a good time to travel in my opinion), so I totally understand staying close to home.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back