• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Feedback on Power Issues

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am a huge fan of the Autoformer. Originally I chainlocked it to the power pole. There is a wiring kit sold by Hughes which allows you to keep everything in the electrical Bay. When I bought the Newmar, I had them rewrite this at the factory. A good mobile tech can do this, if you are not comfortable doing it. It involves disconnecting the current power cord from the transfer switch and wiring it to the box in the kit, then replacing the original cord with a much shorter one.

One must take a picture of the wiring before starting, so as to put the new cable in correctly. The trickiest part is that the wires must be torqued to specification. W should all learn to check these and retorque them yearly, or have it done at the yearly service.

The Autoformer must be plugged directly into the power pole. The surge protectoor or ems gets plugged into the Autoformer.

To get up and running quickly plug in externally as mentioned above. However, I would get a good bicycle (steel) chainlock (i.e. Python or better) and chain bother the Autoformer and ems to the power pole.

One more suggestion. I perch everything on a few, when plugging into the pole so the equipment does not sit in standing water. I also drape a cut open large garbage bag over the setup (secured with gorilla tape to minimize rain exposure.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I really appreciate it. ?

@ARD neal has his set up in the cord bay but it appears to be more than a trivial installation. From what I have read and what everybody says above is sage advice. I am in the process of ordering one myself. Good luck!

@Neal,
would you post a picture of your internal mount of the Autoformer. I already have the surge protector mounted in the power compartment and wonder where you found room.

Attachments

• AAC92E22-42D8-4E3C-AF9D-A09A4CFFFF41.jpeg
    AAC92E22-42D8-4E3C-AF9D-A09A4CFFFF41.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 33
@Neal,
would you post a picture of your internal mount of the Autoformer. I already have the surge protector mounted in the power compartment and wonder where you found room.

My coach is in storage so I can't get a pic right now. It's just left of the cord reel in between it and the progressive EMS. I'm not sure what that black thing is hanging down that your EMS control is attached to. I had to do a little reorganizing moving the coax connection, etc. If you take the specs of the Hughes AF and measure the rectangle maybe cut out a piece of cardboard you can experiment.

That sure looks familiar! :)

Had it in my photos...thanks for sending it to me...two years back!

Nothing that a pizza with pineapple can’t solve ?

Only a few select peeps would I share my tip of rubbing pineapple on the 50A plug prongs to improve electrical flow!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back